Member Array
    Car:
    b18 ek

breaking in newly rebuilt motor

hey fellas getting my car back soon which is having its engine, rebuilt b18c2. for the break in everywhere i search it takes me back to this http://mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm is this method proven to be effective? should i be hitting vtec anywhere before 100kms ? thanks

Member Array
    Car:
    b18 ek
    anyone?? getting this back tomorrow need to know what you guys reccomendd

how i broke in my motor was to not hit vtec for the first 2000kms and to put alot of load onto the motor.. (full throttle on 5th gear at low revs)
    WP: 1.03.4
    Winton: 1.30.9

Ozhonda Supporter Array
    Car:
    MV Agusta F4
    Drive it like the link you provided. Proven results from the Pros!
    Deano.

Member Array
    Car:
    b18 ek
    do i need to drive it like this for 1000kms LOL

Account Disabled Array
    Make sure you get a safe tune as well for the break in process

Member Array
    Car:
    b18 ek
    its just a stock rebuild stock ecu nothing fancy

Member Array
    Car:
    91 ED9 CRX
    Make sure you use running in oil or cheap regular oil, change oil at 500km and no synthetic until about 2500kms. Don't drive the car like a granny, get the engine to work but don't over do it right away. Give it a few blasts here and there. Down shifting in the mid to high rpm range and letting the car slow down in gear, creates some nice vacuum helping make the rings expand and bed in the cylinder walls nicely.

Member Array
    Car:
    AccordCB7 Turbo
    Quote Originally Posted by unl3a5h View Post
    hey fellas getting my car back soon which is having its engine, rebuilt b18c2. for the break in everywhere i search it takes me back to this http://mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm is this method proven to be effective? should i be hitting vtec anywhere before 100kms ? thanks
    DO EXACTLY AS THE LINK SAYS!
    It's probably the best way to run a car in.. And i haven't seen anything to disprove his methods.

For my Motor (Forged, built, blueprinted, yada-yada)
    I used Penrite Run-In Oil, for the first 50KM's or so.
    Then the recommended oil grade from factory, ofcourse in mineral oil (I used Penrite 20-60W Extra10)
    Did the next Oilchange at 500KM's, put more of the 20-60W in.
    Next at 1500, and went to Synthetic.. Which you can use whatever your prefered brand/weight is.

Assuming your Tune is still correct and valid, you should be able to give that Motor the thrashing of it's life after as little as 100KM's.
    And as far as 'VTEC' goes.. Hit it.
    It's not 4x4 status, think of it as "Winter Mode".

Member Array
    Car:
    b18 ek
    sweet gave it squirts here and there and let it slow down with out brakes only problem was looking like the dickhead with the loud exhaust who doesnt know how to drive and backing off for no reason after going full throttle for some time haha is it bad that i was stuck in traffic and had to stay idling?

Moderator Array
    Car:
    '90 EF8/'94 EH9
    Yeah it's not ideal. Best done away from traffic and lights so you can open it up and give it enough time to engine-brake.