Threaded View

ED Civic EFI Conversion - FUEL tanks

THIS WILL NOT WORK WITH ED CIVIC HATCBACKS, THE FILLER HOLE IS IN A DIFFERENT POSITION, CAN BE MODIFIED TO WORK WITH A DIFFERENT HOSE THOUGH.

Been lurking the internet and this forum for a fair while trying to get information on ED civic EFI conversions.

There is a fair deal of information on line about this, but the information that I found was fairly murky..

So anyway I thought I would create a small quick thread with some of my first hand experience...

Most people have said that to the conversion you need to get a 2nd Gen CR-X Fuel tank, or retrofit a fuel pump into the provisioned template on the factory carby fuel tank, with both tanks running EFI rated hoses to the hardlines. (I think there are two members on here who have a pretty detailed fuel pump install in there build thread)
    Other tanks such as concertos, EG, EK and integra fuel tanks have been mentioned by members to work but of course there were other members to say it didn't

Anyway, well for me I didn't feel to good of myself to cut into fuel tank and it was almost impossible to source a CRX Fuel tank.

But I had however, a wrecking EG & EK, my project ED and a donor parts car DA9.

So I dropped the EK, ED and DA9 tank's to compare....

Here is the ED tank... you can see at the top right the provsion to where a fuel pump would be installed..

and the EK Tank

Under first impressions.. the EK tank looks to be the same shape and size. However the upper buldge is slightly thicker than the ED with the fuel pump also being positioned in the centre. This could possibly pinch onto the fuel lines when installed and starve the engine...

The mounting positions were also a bit off, but I'm sure with some fabrication work it COULD be made to fit...

Here is the DA9 tank, I will be using this one..

And this is the DA9 tank. It is the same shape and dimension as the ED tank. You can also see that the fuel pump is located where a CR-X or EFI ED would have it positioned. The fuel sensor is also in the same position so it will be in the correct spot in regards to the fuel sensor hole in the cabin.

The DA9 tank however is a bit different with its contours and the buldge at the top of the image is also thicker than the ED one...

However dummy fitting the DA9 tank to the ED, the tank matched all mounting positions, and connected to all the factory lines but due to the slightly thicker buldge it sat about 2CM or less lower.

I don't think the fuel tank sitting slightly lower would be of a problem too me though, as I don't plan to be driving the car slammed.

I will get photos up of the DA9 tank installed soon...

Hope this helps some others looking to go EFI...
    Last edited by doublewhat?; 27-03-2013 at 08:08 AM.