2000 DC2R Engine Rebuild

Hi All,

Am looking to do a rebuild on my engine as it's losing about 700ml per 1000klm depending on driving conditions. Also, at oil change times, theres little slivers of metal on my magnetic sump plug when I remove it, and it's not just a few.

I want to source the parts for a rebuild, but was hoping someone had a sensible list of whats needed. The car has done 120,000 klms.

Not looking for an all out race engine as this is a daily driver, and luckily, it's only 6klm to work each day.

At 100K, it had a new water pump, belts, plugs and tensioner, so am trying to decide if these parts should be replaced?

I have an ex-HK mechanic friend to help me do the build, he used to work on the Honda Civic's and Integra's that were in the Macau races, but he wants me to go with higher compression pistons etc, again, it's a daily, and I am not 20 yrs old haha, but once a year the car will be tracked,

So advice on parts, gasket kits etc, I want this engine like it just came from the factory again, and not have to feed it so much oil.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Tseesinngwailo
    Every Day You Don't Practice, Is A Day You Get Worse
    (\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
    (")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.

Member Array
    Car:
    Integra
    Usually it is the builder/tuner that will advise what parts should be needed. Because they only know whats wrong with the engine (I.e. what needs replacing)

Then work out if you want a reliable long life running car, or a track car (track car parts have to mainted more [i.e. rebuild] other than OEM [i.e. longer lasting])

And then, it is up to you upon your budget of which brand to choose, which you have to re-search on your own time. Prices are different everywhere.

Yes I understand you would like to know what parts you want to change or what not, but this is not up to us because we don't know anything about your engine, and we don't no anything about your financial. Nor we do want to know so please save us from saving your time wasting our time telling you what to buy or not.

Thanks
    無限 The Form is in the Function 無限
    teamGROUNDzero

Member Array
    Car:
    Integra
    Read this thread, this guy is rebuilding his engine himself.
    http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthr...y-Red-quot-DC2

Look at what parts he is changing and why, then etc etc later you find out he wants a 'oem' 'mild/track' 'pure track' car for his needs
    無限 The Form is in the Function 無限
    teamGROUNDzero

Thanks for the info, but that looks like a build thats gone sideways, so I will think about a list, which starts with valve seals, head gasket, rings, bearings, but need to think on do i need an oil pump and associated bits like that, I will do the clutch, but again, seeing as I have just started the process of building a new house, I dont have cash to build a full race car, hence just wanting an OEM build, and the fact this is a daily driver, not a show pony or track warrior, last year at the Honda Nationals, I was very happy with my time, so no need to go wild, cheers, Tseesinngwailo
    Every Day You Don't Practice, Is A Day You Get Worse
    (\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
    (")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.

Member Array
    Car:
    DC2
    Quote Originally Posted by tseesinngwailo View Post
    Thanks for the info, but that looks like a build thats gone sideways, so I will think about a list, which starts with valve seals, head gasket, rings, bearings, but need to think on do i need an oil pump and associated bits like that, I will do the clutch, but again, seeing as I have just started the process of building a new house, I dont have cash to build a full race car, hence just wanting an OEM build, and the fact this is a daily driver, not a show pony or track warrior, last year at the Honda Nationals, I was very happy with my time, so no need to go wild, cheers, Tseesinngwailo
    did you read why my build went "sideways"? not because of any part I chose but because one of the machine shops f*cked up.

if you want to use my list as an idea I picked all my parts carefully with strength and reliability in mind.

but for CHRIST SAKE be careful when letting others do the work. you do NOT want to end up in my situation where you have to redo the whole thing yourself.

GL with the rebuild man, looking forward to reading about it.
    -ZAMMIN-

"I know who you are, and I know if I make a formal complaint Mr. Benjamin will have to roll over and give me all your details"
    - Integra-GSi 19/11/2015

Member Array
    Car:
    P1.5 460F/350R
    Quote Originally Posted by Super-DA9 View Post
    did you read why my build went "sideways"? not because of any part I chose but because one of the machine shops f*cked up.

if you want to use my list as an idea I picked all my parts carefully with strength and reliability in mind.

but for CHRIST SAKE be careful when letting others do the work. you do NOT want to end up in my situation where you have to redo the whole thing yourself.

GL with the rebuild man, looking forward to reading about it.
    imo its our own responsibility for checking/verifying correct tolerance
    always check and verify the tolerance yourself after sending to machine shop.

but who has $1g worth of precision instrument like bore dial gauge in their garage
    so probably its just bad luck / chose bad machine shop.
    S P A M | W O R K S
    With our special rotational tires, it will allow you to drive very fast. - JK Tyre

'99 DC2R/'88 CRX Array
    Car:
    DC2R/CRX
    Losing oil might not necessitate a complete rebuild. 120K kms seems very early to need this - my EF9 went 300K kms without needing a rebuild and it was never babied.

I'd be getting a mechanic to look it over, leakdown etc before going all out on a rebuild. If it's your ex-HK mechanic, I'd be tempted to get a second opinion as what he seems to want and what you want may be two poles apart.
    '99 DC2R, '90 BMW E30 318is, '88 CRX

Moderator Array
    Car:
    '90 EF8/'94 EH9
    What oil are you using out of curiosity?

I agree with Setanta, find the problem first. I once went to have my headgasket changed and ended up with a full valvetrain, cams, port job, ITR TB/IM, re-welded combustion chambers, full VRS kit, new CAI etc lol. You really need to be careful with those people, sometimes they want to have fun doing stuff but spending somebody else's money. And they lose interest if you want a 'boring' job done. Just gotta keep them focussed.