Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    porsche boxster
    Get the axleback pipe remade with a higher arc to clear it or ghetto style you can hammer it a bit to give clearance

So if I take the axle back off the noise should go away right?

I just sussed my exhaust and it's sits very close to the sway bar and the exhaust paint is rubbed off

clearly the swaybar is touching the exhaust piping. Go to an exhaust shop and get it adjusted/rewelded etc.

Moderator Array
    Car:
    '90 EF8/'94 EH9
    Check your rear trailing arm bushes. One of mates had a rooted set in his EF and that was causing some knocking sounds which resolved once they were replaced.

Otherwise you start with the exhaust as above, check your clearances, hangers etc, see how wobbly it is.

It's definitely the exhaust hitting the sway bar. Thanks for the help guys, going exhaust shop this weekend

Ok guys the knocking sound is back,
    Its definately not the muffler this time, its comming from the rear right hand wheel and everytime im on the brakes the noise goes away so im guessing its got something to do with the brakes.

Thanks guys

Grab a mate to jump in the back and check to the noise.
    Shake the wheels, check for movement at the top in and outwards + left to right. Check for anything loose.
    Inspect the rear control arm main pivot bushings.
    Check that the exhaust tip has enough clearance to the rear bumper, grab it and move it by hand to check.
    Make sure when the exhaust was altered that its not hitting the body/chassis (to heigh).
    I'd say when you hit the brakes what ever is makeing the noise becomes unloaded and moves further apart, like the exhaust tip/muffler on the rear bumper.

hey guys its been a while, I don't really drive the car much cos I got no license but that noise is still there. by any chance could it be the disc or brake pad?

Member Array
    Car:
    civic
    Ill check ur toe brackets on the traling arms.. I had a cracked one. Knocked everytime i turned. Worth a chek

in all honesty my friend , DIY resolution will set you back more than putting it in to a mechanic to fix it , something like this cannot best resolved over a forum, even with an explanation from a professional.
    i say save some dosh take it to a work shop and get them to have a look. this is coming from an apprentice who has spent to much money on using the cancelation process to resolve the issue, ( iacv issues mainly, to find it was an ecu issue)