Member Array
    Car:
    1996 honda accord VTI-S

CL1 steering wheel to CD Accord & EK civic

Disclaimer: The following is provided as a GUIDE ONLY, and neither myself nor Ozhonda take any responsibility for the outcomes of someone else doing the following. You follow these steps at your own risk!

since ive been changing my steering wheel several times, why not make a DIY on how to take the old steering wheel out

(i did this on my accord but pretty much the same method for the EKs)

Tools:

Flat Screw Driver
    Phillip Screw Driver
    14mm Socket
    Ratchet and Small Extension
    Star Screw Driver
    White Marker
    Some patient

"before removing the steering wheel, make you take out the neg terminal on the battery to prevent short circuit."

go behind of the steering wheel and you will see a plastic cover, just use your finger to slide the cover from the bottom and it should slide with no problem. if not then use a small flat screw driver. now get your star screw driver and remove the star screw

now go to the other side, where the cruise control is located. this is the hard part it took me awhile to remove the cover of the cruise control, use the flat screw driver and cover it with a thin rug to prevent damage on the plastic cover and try to push it out. once its remove you will see another Star screw and 2 small screws.

underneath the steering wheel is another cover with 2 screws, take it out and open it and you will see the air-bag connector. slide down the connector separate them.

take out the air-bag and you will come up with wires for the cruise control and horn, just disconnect them, then remove the big bolt on the the middle of the steering wheel. use the 14mm socket and ratchet to remove the bolt. be careful not to damage the frame of the steering wheel and the bolt. ask a friend/family to hold the steering wheel while removing the bolt, or just lock the steering.

horn

Air-bag

Cruise control

"to make this easier is to make sure your wheels are straight before you remover it. It would make life a lot easier to align the new wheels"

when the bolt is loosen, don't take it out just yet, just leave it there, and gave your steering wheel a good shake or smack from the bottom to loosen up the steering from the base frame. once the steering is loosen from the base frame, take out the big bolt and use the marker to to put a mark on the centre of the steering wheel. so you know where the centre when you put the new steering. now slowly remove the steering and be careful of the wires,

get your new steering wheel, im going to use s2k/cl1 (both 2000-2002 model) steering for this one. both steering wheel doesn't come with cruise control buttons, so im just going hide the wire under the air-bag. both wheels got the star screw on the side and very similar to the stock steering.

the fun part
    put in the new steering and centre it as possible as u can(im pretty your its not going to be straight so at least close to being straight and just get a wheel alignment to fix the problem) plug all the wire back,put the big bolt in the middle and make sure its tight. put the airbag and the star screw on the both sides. put the neg terminal back and test the horn if its working and put it on ignition and see if the SRS light will go on and OFF after few seconds.

the finish product. along with the AP1 steering....

and this is what it looks like on the EK

horn wire

Air-bag

the finish product

hope i cover everything up.
    Last edited by wynode; 19-08-2012 at 09:54 PM.

Needs more time... Array
    Blog Entries
    Please use the disclaimer.

Take extreme care when working around airbag equipped wheels (this should be stated at the start).
    Got a question? Check out the FAQ - http://www.ozhonda.com/go/faq

Member Array
    Car:
    1996 honda accord VTI-S
    my mistake...

thanks for adding it to the top page..