Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    MX5 CB400S4

Removing CV Joints

Hi all, i've been wrestling with cv joints for a week now and cant get them off. The problem is there not attached to the car so the driveshaft just spins freely and nothing in my tool box can grip it including vicegrips and the likes (all of them spin as u load the nut up. So im wondering whats the best way to undo this bolt. Ive also tried a rattle gun and that didnt have enough balls. And btw is the nut reverse threaded on either side or does it just loosen anti-clockwise?

Thanks!!
    EK1 Daily Drive.

Member Array
    Car:
    jdm b16a civic
    It's a standard thread...lefty loosey righty tightly.. Where u located

Quote Originally Posted by dmad_dood View Post
    Hi all, i've been wrestling with cv joints for a week now and cant get them off. The problem is there not attached to the car so the driveshaft just spins freely and nothing in my tool box can grip it including vicegrips and the likes (all of them spin as u load the nut up. So im wondering whats the best way to undo this bolt. Ive also tried a rattle gun and that didnt have enough balls. And btw is the nut reverse threaded on either side or does it just loosen anti-clockwise?

Thanks!!

So are they sitting in the hubs with the large nut still on? Did u remember to fold out the striked lip of the large nut ?
    IF they are sitting in the hubs - grab a breaker bar or similar long wrench - place it across the hub resting it inbetween the studs , hanging to the left of the face. Place hub on ground flat , aim the long bar further to the left as to "lock" into the ground and use another socket + big ratchet or breaker bar to crack the nut. Should be easily enough to do.

Member Array
    Car:
    MX5 CB400S4
    Eureka!!!! put my new impact driver to the test and first hit success!!! my rattle gun wouldn't do it but my 18v impact driver did it first hit. Thanks anyways for the help.
    EK1 Daily Drive.

Member Array
    Car:
    porsche boxster
    Which impact driver did you buy?

Member Array
    Car:
    MX5 CB400S4
    Makita.. Cant talk enough good about it
    EK1 Daily Drive.

Makita.. Cant talk enough good about it
    ive got the BTW251 - 18v impact wrench, same as your i guess. Also have a whole bunch of other tools that utilize the same batteries - great kit !

I want one now. How much ?
    Quote Originally Posted by dwn_boi View Post
    not quite sure how to spell but taste mad, its hard on the outside and creamy on the inside omfg so good

Member Array
    Car:
    porsche boxster
    Get a Panasonic

Member Array
    Car:
    MX5 CB400S4
    I thinik u can pick the makitas up on there own around $200.00 pending on which impact driver you get. I bought the kit which comes with a the 18v cordless drill as well.
    EK1 Daily Drive.

I thinik u can pick the makitas up on there own around $200.00 pending on which impact driver you get. I bought the kit which comes with a the 18v cordless drill as well.
    Yeah - I Got the impact wrench "skin" plus two batteries and the charger for about $250 and just bought another 4 tool skins around $50-150 each. Great kit. My impact wrench is black and worn and covered in oil residue - it gets a decent workout on Sydney siders cars and love holes ;0)

A great investment for any diy'er

Member Array
    Car:
    P1.5 460F/350R
    just to clarify, you used the makita btw251 to undo hub nut?
    S P A M | W O R K S
    With our special rotational tires, it will allow you to drive very fast. - JK Tyre