Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Banned Array
    Car:
    B16EG-GD3-DC2
    Quote Originally Posted by bennjamin View Post
    not possible to leave off the harmonic balancer or put it on backwards....

Consider a engine mount might be too tight / broken / loose giving you this vibration. Maybe the rear engine mount is stuffed.

Is this vibration in gear while driving ? Or can you replicate it in neutral as the car sits stationary ?
    thats what i was thinking

Member Array
    Car:
    Prelude Vtir
    Cheers for all the replies. Its happening when the car is stationary and the only thing that changes the frequency of vibration is engine speed. I can be in gear and out of gear on difference. Power seems to be normal, im pretty apprehensive about hitting Vtec or revving too high. It only happened once the belt was replaced and im pretty sure they dont touch the engine mounts when doing a cambelt do they?
    Its also a reasonably high frequency vibration too...

Banned Array
    Car:
    B16EG-GD3-DC2
    usually the last thing changed will be the cause of any problem, so check the timing, or get him to check it. and make sure he knows its his fault.

Member Array
    Car:
    Prelude Vtir
    No worries, I will call and take it back tomorrow. He better sort that shit out!

Member Array
    Car:
    hondie 2000
    LOL i'm dribbling shit guys sorry

what's all that shit about people removing balance shafts then? or are they different shit?

I shall not comment on the crank pulley remark, you're clearly out to insult my noob qualities. Not everybody has taken an engine apart/gone that deep
    Last edited by curtis265; 23-08-2012 at 11:44 PM.
    S P A M | W O R K S
    hehe.
    PHC

Member Array
    Car:
    Kermit K20A
    The balance shaft belt will be incorrectly timed. Has happened to me a couple of times
    Kermit EGK20A
    Winton: 1:35.08
    Wakefield: 1:08.8

Banned Array
    Car:
    B16EG-GD3-DC2
    Quote Originally Posted by curtis265 View Post
    LOL i'm dribbling shit guys sorry

what's all that shit about people removing balance shafts then? or are they different shit?

I shall not comment on the crank pulley remark, you're clearly out to insult my noob qualities. Not everybody has taken an engine apart/gone that deep
    I think the harmonic balancer sits directly on the output shaft at the front of the engine (opposite to gearbox side, since a transverse is either left/right) its like a plate which has mass, then on the outside is like a rubber ring to absorb vibration, then on the outside of that is another ring which has the groove for the belt.

so as u can see there is no reverse its not related to timing as such and it cant be installed without because its part of the pulley.

i read that its main design is to be heavy and absorb vibration to prevent resonance which would shatter the crank.

this is missing the rubber though. and the belt runs on the outer groove

Member Array
    Car:
    Prelude Vtir
    BTW, I took it back to the mechanic after work today. He thinks its not the harmonic balancer as the vibration did not appear to be what you would expect from that. You also cant feel the vibration in the engine bay but climbing in the seat and then seems to resonate through the car. He it was not sure with out pulling it apart but said he would take care of it and sort it out on monday plus give me a loan car to drive for the day. I'm pretty happy he wasn't a dick about it too.

Member Array
    Car:
    Laser,B16EF,DC2
    but the question is why did he return the car to you like that lol

Moderator Array
    Car:
    '90 EF8/'94 EH9
    Hopefully he will find out. Nice mechanic.

Member Array
    Car:
    Prelude Vtir
    He said he test drove it before giving it back to me and the trip meter went for 4 and a bit kms after being reset.

Member Array
    Car:
    Prelude Vtir
    Turn out the mechanic said that the harmonic balancer pin was in slightly bent, so that it was slightly out...hence vibration. Fixed it in a couple of hours once I took it in. I was pretty happy with the mechanics responce to it all. Also lent me a Mini Cooper S for the day, decent courtesy car me thinks..