Thread: Hard Wire GPS.

Hard Wire GPS.

Disclaimer: The following is provided as a GUIDE ONLY, and neither myself nor Ozhonda take any responsibility for the outcomes of someone else doing the following. You follow these steps at your own risk!

I have an FD Civic and my Garmin Nuvi is a fixture. I have Nuvi attached near the small window and have threaded the power wire behind the weather strip and along inside the interior plastic past the fuse box. The thing annoying me now is the power thing hanging out of the cig lighter.
    Attachment 22785

You will need. A mini fuse add a circuit wire.
    Attachment 22786
    A fuse.
    A power outlet, ie a cig lighter.
    Attachment 22789
    A few cable ties.
    One connector.
    A crimping tool.
    Shrink wrap.
    The general idea is to take power from the fuse box, attach a cig lighter, plug in the Nuvi power lead and then hide it all around the fuse area under the plastic cover.
    Hopefully this will lead to an clean integrated look through not having the power cord visible.
    Lets go to work, kids.
    We need to join fuse tap to red wire on cig lighter, attach a connection to cig lighters black wire to attach to an earth.
    Prepare cig lighter, I'm shrink wrapping exposed bits so nothing gets shorted out. You could just wrap in electrical tape.
    Now its under the dashboard time, take a deep breath and Step one, remove plastic cover. turn knob and pull off.
    Attachment 22790
    I'm going to tap into fuse 8, this one is not used and is powered on when ignition is turned on.
    Push in fuse tap, I found an earth up near steering shaft. Undo bolt, attach our earth wire and tighten it up.
    Attachment 22791
    Plug in power lead from GPS, cable tie the whole lot out of the way. Now turn ignition on and note gps start up. YIPEE.
    Push cover back on and enjoy clean, integrated look. No visible GPS power cable and GPS tucked away in small window. Too cool for school.
    Attachment 22792
    Attachment 22793
    I have just completed this feat of wiring excellence and will let you know if my car burns to the ground overnight. Watch this space.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20120820_162459.jpg 
Views:	307 
Size:	158.3 KB 
ID:	22794  
    Last edited by wynode; 22-09-2012 at 09:05 AM.

Looks good. I guess Ill look to hard wiring my in car camera

Newcomer Array
    Hi, I'm really noob when it comes to electrical things like this. What kind of fuse or fuses do I need exactly?

Hi Keyman so am I. In fact I'm hopelss with electrics.
    The fuse tap thing is about 6 bucks on ebay, it requires a fuse and i used a 5 amp fuse.
    You should be able to see the fuse tap and the fuse that hangs out the side of it in one of the pics.
    Th biggest hassle I had was finding a suitable earth. I used one that had other wires hanging from it,
    that way I knew it would work.
    All you need is a fuse tap, ebay about 6 bucks, and a fuse.

Needs more time... Array
    Blog Entries
    Disclaimer added to the first post. Please follow the format for posting as per the sticky in future please.
    Got a question? Check out the FAQ - http://www.ozhonda.com/go/faq