Member Array
    Car:
    Mx-5

weird noise in the engine..... PLEASE HELP!!

hey guys ive been hearing a really weird noise in the engine lately. it never used to do that. me and my mate (who is a mechanic) replaced the water pump last week. but in the end, we couldnt finish the job because we need a rattle gun and he doesnt have it on him. but before that, while we were trying to get to the water pump, he was spinning this big bolt and it made the cams turn. after doing that, he accidentally jumped that timing making the timing to be a bit off. so we did not start the car at all and seeing that we needed a rattle gun to take off that big bolt, my car had to be towed to his workplace. so my car was left at his workplace for the next few days. since he had to do other jobs as well, my car couldnt be done in time. so his boss, fixed the timing and got the timing right again. my mate finally worked on my car and changed the water pump and started putting stuff together and thats when i arrived at his workshop. we started the car up and it started to make this weird noise. it sounded like the engine was dry. was making thing tractory noise. but we left the car running for like 5 mins or so and the noise disappeared. but when i got to my gfs place, i was parked on a slope and it started making the same noise again. so i decided to just leave it. finally i went home and park the car on the driveway and my driveway is also on a slope and it made the same noise again. after that i decided to let the engine cool down, and started the car up and park it in the garage where its flat and the noise was still there but not as loud i guess.

so if anyone out there knows what it could be, please let me know. i am just really worried about this.

Banned Array
    Car:
    R34 GTR Vspec
    sell it and buy a nissan

Member Array
    Car:
    Mx-5
    nah. im sticking to honda for a bit.

Member Array
    Car:
    Civic EJ8
    Quote Originally Posted by cihanvtec View Post
    sell it and buy a nissan
    best answer of the year hahahaha

hard to diagnose a problem online, best bet is to take it back to them who done the job, because it seems like they didnt complete the job properly.

Im not a mech so i cant say for sure, but maybe they removed a vac line or something??? OR could be exhaust leak, causing that sound to happen

i assume the big bolt was the crank bolt? if so than 9/10 its a bitch of a job to do, infact i tried to do a diy as well, an gave up due to the sheer force needed to crack it as well as will power haha
    I <3 BOOST! D16+T SOHC

Member Array
    Car:
    DC2 Integra
    Noises, explain ..
    Sounds like oil level is low, else your mate didn't do it a proper job. If thats the case, i'll get your money back and double check your timing, coolant to see if its leaking ( water pump not done properly ).
    Go slap him.

Oil low = engine not lubricated enough = rough sex.

Member Array
    Car:
    Mx-5
    engine oil level is good because we did a service while waiting for the tow truck to come the next day, the coolant was flushed and then we bleeded it. now im just scared that its the timing. so i think it might be a dodgy job done by them.

Member Array
    Car:
    Mx-5
    finally figured what the noise was. it was just the timing belt sort of hitting the cover of it. but still havent fixed it just yet.

Moderator Array
    Car:
    '90 EF8/'94 EH9
    The rocker cover you mean? Belt might be damaged and need changing again.

Member Array
    Car:
    05 DC5S
    ^ probably all it is. I hope you give your mate a good slap :P

Moderator Array
    Car:
    '90 EF8/'94 EH9
    Quote Originally Posted by eLtrix View Post
    ^ probably all it is. I hope you give your mate a good slap :P
    What?

Banned Array
    Car: