Newcomer Array
    Car:
    DC2 Type R

violent jerk and clunk noise when shift at redline

Hi guys, I have searched a few posts but couldn't get the answer I want.

when I shift from 1st to 2nd or 2nd to 3rd in my DC2R, sometimes there would be this single violent jerk with a clunk noise at the moment when I release the clutch. I have spoon engine mounts and they are fairly new, is the jerk normal provided they are aftermarket mounts?

cheers

Not very mechanically sound so I hope that someone else is able to help you, but that just sounds like you're not shifting cleanly, road speed and revs don't match up well cause you shift too slowly? Goodluck though

Member Array
    Car:
    DC2R
    Syncs.... Mine doesn't engage 3rd smooth any more. No matter how slowly i release the clutch it always gaps roughly at high rpm.

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    DC2 Type R
    Im not the most experienced manual driver but i have been driving this car for 2 years Id say my average shift time is 1s-1.5s.
    anyway thanks guys, just wanna make sure the problem isnt mechanically.

Member Array
    Car:
    DC2
    look at the tacho when you shift, if you see the revs jump up or down suddenly at the same time that the car jerks, then you are not rev matching correctly.

or if you would like it explained in a simple mechanical way:

if you quickly release the clutch when the flywheels turning speed is not the same (or close to) the speed that the clutch itself is turning at, then you will get a "kick" from the engine/transmission as the clutch bites onto the flywheel.
    -ZAMMIN-

"I know who you are, and I know if I make a formal complaint Mr. Benjamin will have to roll over and give me all your details"
    - Integra-GSi 19/11/2015

Member Array
    Car:
    GSi
    You say the spoon engine mounts are new? I experienced the same problem you are describing and found out it was my engine/gearbox mount. It was completely ****ed. Replaced all the engine mounts with a hard race kit and now its awesome again ;-)
    .: I Heart Honda :.