Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    2 Tonne Ek Tank
    Quote Originally Posted by Honda View Post
    Conclusion? Do i need to worry about changing battery or anything?

I have a 98 civic gli ek1 as TbM said-

It is nice to know that I only need to set the gain on the amp and that's it! I was worried about tuning it correctly
    I wouldn't bother, the ammount of power will be using is very low so shouldn't bother the electrical system at all. if you get headlights dimming on strong bass then I might look at it. if you have a multimeter its easy to do some basic checks.
    Quote Originally Posted by blabla View Post
    just check health of alternator (local auto electrician can do it) and make sure your battery is in good condition.
    how much would an auto electrician charge to check the alt?
    "I have no idols. I admire work, dedication and competence." - Ayrton Senna

Member Array
    Car:
    2010 cu2 euro
    Quote Originally Posted by TbM View Post
    I wouldn't bother, the ammount of power will be using is very low so shouldn't bother the electrical system at all. if you get headlights dimming on strong bass then I might look at it. if you have a multimeter its easy to do some basic checks.

how much would an auto electrician charge to check the alt?
    I have no idea but it shouldnt be heaps i agree with you only do it if the above is happens. It might be as simple as using multimeter.

Member Array
    Car:
    Jazz 2010
    I am using jvc amp for front and rear highs. Similar amp you mentioned. I found that the sq is not very impressive compared to other brands I had. Sort of regretting. Invest few more bucks.
    With the alternator checking, it should be free. Just ask them you wanna check the battery and should only take ten seconds for them.
    Now, i will be a honda owner once again..

Member Array
    Car:
    EK1
    Quote Originally Posted by happymatch View Post
    I am using jvc amp for front and rear highs. Similar amp you mentioned. I found that the sq is not very impressive compared to other brands I had. Sort of regretting. Invest few more bucks.
    With the alternator checking, it should be free. Just ask them you wanna check the battery and should only take ten seconds for them.
    What do you think of the GM-5500T? http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PU...eries/GM-5500T

Similar price to the JVC
    Last edited by Honda; 11-09-2012 at 08:49 AM.

Member Array
    Car:
    2010 cu2 euro
    Quote Originally Posted by Honda View Post
    What do you think of the GM-5500T? http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PU...eries/GM-5500T

Similar price to the JVC
    Dont rush into buying an amp. What area are you from champ?

if you can go and see these guys

http://www.fhrxstudios.com/

Member Array
    Car:
    EK1
    Not rushing at all. Just asking questions for research. (OK maybe i am in a rush as I'm not too busy for the next week) :P

It seems like choosing the right amp is quite hard. Everyone is different, has their own preference, and different suggestions.

I think when people recommend an amp, they recommend it from their own past experiences with a particular amp or model. Which is what I'm looking for.
    Some people may suggest the JVC amp, but from happymatch experience- it doesn't seem it is a good choice. From other people's experience we can learn.

Some people suggest amps by looking at the specs of the speakers then recommend a amp that matches the speakers. Which is quite risky (it will do the job but probably not the best job) unless the brand is well known such as Focal or Arc Audio.

I think I'll consider running the speakers of the HU when it arrives and decide on the amp later in the future. Been busy with alot of things. In the meantime, I could save up too

Hmmm......

Member Array
    Car:
    2010 cu2 euro
    go and see the guys at the place i mentioned you will be able to listen to a few amps they have there. they also supply the speakers u bought so they would be able to recommend and amp for you at ur budget whilst trying to achieve ur goals.

Member Array
    Car:
    EK1
    I've contacted them however being a high end store, they only have high end products on display.

Member Array
    Car:
    2010 cu2 euro
    Fairfield car audio, soundmaster granville, powersound mt druitt, deszir4sound Liverpool, lifestyle store north parra, kims car audio, ryda superstore petersham there's heap try these places lifestyle and fairfield car audio are little more to higher end but they can get in amps also.

Member Array
    Car:
    EK1
    Quote Originally Posted by Drifter995 View Post
    I don't see why the rms will drop? The alternator will put out 14.4 volts... or should. so, when the car is going, you should be able to tap into all the power quoted.
    Also, you don't need a cap to keep it at 14.4 volts... Caps are band-aids. Good wiring should get you 14.4volt.
    Just back on to the discussion of alternators. Well, my one is the stock one that came with the car 98 ek1 gli.

I'm starting to be concerned about if my car is able to run the amp or not with amps needing 14.4V..

I don't want to spend extra hundreds for a new alternator to run an amp..... So I think I should do some research.

Do people usually replace their alternators when they run an amp?

How do I check with the voltmeter? What should I look for?
    Last edited by Honda; 12-09-2012 at 09:17 AM.

Member Array
    Car:
    EK1
    OK big noob here! I found a voltmeter around the house but not sure how to use it. Lost the manual aswell.

Questions on set up:
    1. There a 3 holes, 1 black and 1 red wire. Which colour wire goes to which hole?

2. Where should the spinning thing be set to?

Member Array
    Car:
    '77 Civic
    As a guess, where it is (voltage 20) and the wires would go black on bottom, and red in middle as a guess, judging by the top one saying '10a max' which the alternator puts out more of.
    As for replacing alternator, not usually, unless they have lots of power in their system (like 2000wrms~)
    I was checking my car the other day, and my power into the amp was 13.3volts. Which I know the car has trouble charging (it's a 35 year old car, it's expected)
    And no, the amp doesn't NEED 14.4v to run, but that helps unlock it's full potential as far as I know.

As said earlier, Stock one will be fine for under 1800wrm~
    I had an eg8 with stock everything, and that ran 1300wrms~ perfectly. No headlight dimming at all. I loved it. Just make sure you have the right sized power wire to the amps, and adequate earthing, and you'll be fine