Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    2 Tonne Ek Tank
    Quote Originally Posted by Drifter995 View Post
    Had my type s on 1ohm, and pumping at a decent level... on non-bassy songs :> then put on bassy songs. Didn't like it very much xD Will probably use my sony xplod for now till I have money for another sub
    Balls, they dvc subs arnt they? could try running it on one vc if you are lucky enough to have only damaged one of them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Honda View Post
    My head unit is: Kenwood KDC-U449 Yeah I think I'll leave the back disconnected (but it will be good if they can be run on very very low treble and just have bass, if that's possible)
    http://manual.kenwood.com/files/4edc6b41646d2.pdf

page 13/14 you have tre adjustment(treble), change the centre frequency to the to the frequency that your having trouble with and then turn the tre level down. if you dont know what freq is the problem put a track on that shows the harshness then play around with the centre freq and tre level untill you find a setting you like.
    Look what I found! Haha

This is what i feel like after i listen to my focals

"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication and competence." - Ayrton Senna

Member Array
    Car:
    EK1
    Some more reviews on the Morel

I've been playing it for 2hrs and I noticed a few things that is very different from my stock speakers (or it might be because the back is disconnected)

1. With the stock speakers, everything sounds good with and without the window open. But for the Morels, the sound depreciate really fast that it doesn't sound good anymore (unless you roll up the window back)
    2. The morels at around 20 volume (out of 30 at distort). Plays VERY clear music that is just WOW but the bass doesn't kick in until around 27 of the volume (at nearly distort level)
    3. Playing it at 25 makes my ears fuzzy but they weren't loud!! compared to what I was pumping to the stock speakers. (stocks were louder but my ears didn't become fuzzy)
    I think this is due to the Morels playing some low frequencies that the stocks wasn't able to produce? Or maybe the speakers are producing sounds that the human ear can't hear?

So to get my "ideal" sound I have to roll the windows up, set it to around 27 out of 30(distort level) and fuzzy sound when I'm back home (you know what the sound is right? when you listen to too loud music and it makes your ears fuzzy? lol)

But with my stock speakers roll up or roll in, it doesn't matter. Still sounds ok either way etc without fuzz

Member Array
    Car:
    2 Tonne Ek Tank
    Its hard to say without hearing it myself but im guessing that fuzz your talking about is harsh treble, try doing my above post and see if it helps.

How are the speakers installed, did you just mount them to the door trim or did you mount it to the door with an mdf spacer and seal the service holes?

Member Array
    Car:
    EK1
    Quote Originally Posted by TbM View Post
    Its hard to say without hearing it myself but im guessing that fuzz your talking about is harsh treble, try doing my above post and see if it helps.

How are the speakers installed, did you just mount them to the door trim or did you mount it to the door with an mdf spacer and seal the service holes?
    Its like you go drive on a open road for a long time and your ears jam. That's the "fuzz" or whatever you call it, I don't know how to describe it. So your suggesting that it might be caused by the harsh treble?
    Yeah Ive played around with the treble, it helps abit but I think it sounds better with the treble abit up on +1 rather than in the - levels. But I haven't fully played around with the frequency yet- it kinda sounds the same to me with volts up and down.

Should I touch the mid and mid bass?

I didn't notice anything when I adjusted the fade settings.

However, I noticed the sound is best when your head is on the handbrake so I +2 on the balance and it's somewhat better.

My speakers are currently mounted on the door trim due to time constraints.

My next project will definitely be mounting it on the door + mdf spacer + dynamat. Just don't have time right now~

Member Array
    Car:
    2 Tonne Ek Tank
    Its like you go drive on a open road for a long time and your ears jam. That's the "fuzz" or whatever you call it, I don't know how to describe it. So your suggesting that it might be caused by the harsh treble?
    my ears dont jam when i drive for a long time. when my ears fatigue its usualy from excess treble.
    Yeah Ive played around with the treble, it helps abit but I think it sounds better with the treble abit up on +1 rather than in the - levels. But I haven't fully played around with the frequency yet- it kinda sounds the same to me with volts up and down.
    You said the treble was harsh, if you would like to get rid of some of that try what i described.

Should I touch the mid and mid bass?
    If you like but installing the driver properly will make a bigger difference than tuning.
    I didn't notice anything when I adjusted the fade settings.
    If you fade to F (front) it will reduce the signal sent to the rear speakers, so would make them quieter if they were connected.
    My speakers are currently mounted on the door trim due to time constraints.

My next project will definitely be mounting it on the door + mdf spacer + dynamat. Just don't have time right now~
    mounting them properly and sealing service holes will make a huge difference.

Member Array
    Car:
    EK1
    What does mid adjustment do? Is it the instruments? or just the sound in general?
    Last edited by Honda; 22-09-2012 at 09:54 AM.

Member Array
    Car:
    EK1
    The sound is coming back again, there is some sort of interference with the left speaker

Not sure what the cause is but I do have a few theories:
    1. The four wires need to be solder onto the speaker. Because the factory harness did connect two onto one speaker terminal of either (+) or (-)
    2. The speaker terminal may be touching the metal door but I don't think so.

Is there a way to check if the left speaker is generating unwanted signals? Testing the wire with a MM or something? If so, how would I do this?

The sound is very low frequency and it's hard to notice but after a drive- my left ear is jammed while right is fine.
    It was much better than before but the sound generated from the speaker comes and goes? remount always does the trick (did it twice).

I only realised today that the sound was coming because left ear is jammed while right is ok, so then I touched the left speaker and noticed it was vibrating which means the sounds are being created but hardly noticeable and it definitely does do some damage to the ear.

Edit: Tried to explain it better
    Last edited by Honda; 22-09-2012 at 05:20 PM.

Member Array
    Car:
    '77 Civic
    I don't know what you mean by jamming either :/ sorry...
    It is curious though, if it is low bass. but yeah, getting them installed/ installing them properly will give you more bass, and make them sound a lot nicer.

As for my S, I don't think that'd work... she's stuck hard. s'all good. Lasted two completely different systems. it served me well

Member Array
    Car:
    EK1
    Quote Originally Posted by Drifter995 View Post
    I don't know what you mean by jamming either :/ sorry...
    Hmm.. It's the feeling you get in your ears when you know that you've been pumping your system too loud

Member Array
    Car:
    2 Tonne Ek Tank
    Not sure what the cause is but I do have a few theories:
    1. The four wires need to be solder onto the speaker. Because the factory harness did connect two onto one speaker terminal of either (+) or (-)
    doubt it, you only need one set of wires to run a speaker
    2. The speaker terminal may be touching the metal door but I don't think so.
    this is probably your problem
    Is there a way to check if the left speaker is generating unwanted signals? Testing the wire with a MM or something? If so, how would I do this?
    disconnect speaker cable from amp, set multi meter on lowest resistance setting, put one probe on your ground one on a speaker wire, if you get a reading that's not infinite your gonna have a bad time.

how are the connections made to the speaker? ie did you solder the joins between factory harnes and your speaker wire and properly terminate the end of the wire with spade connectors.

Member Array
    Car:
    '77 Civic
    Quote Originally Posted by TbM View Post
    disconnect speaker cable from amp, set multi meter on lowest resistance setting, put one probe on your ground one on a speaker wire, if you get a reading that's not infinite your gonna have a bad time.
    You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to TbM again. Dammit TbM. Am I giving you all my rep? I can't rep you anymore :<
    Also, do you mean you hear a high pitched whine? Like after a concert? that's all I can think of

Member Array
    Car:
    2 Tonne Ek Tank
    ^^ Lol you have to spread your rep around to 15 people before you can rep the same person again.