Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    Prelude Vtir

Replacing Bushes

Hey guys

Just wondering if anyone has any experience replacing rear trailing arm bushes on their preludes...Mine a bit ****ed but I dont really want to fork out a few hundred to sort em.

Are they pretty hard to do yourself, I know you need a compacter to squeeze them back in but can you take the arms down to a suspension shop and get them to do that side of it?

Cheers

Russ

Moderator Array
    Car:
    Honda Civic VTi
    A suspension shop will do it but you're looking at several hundred dollars because the cost is in the labour, not the actual bushes.

I have done a couple of Civics but I buy my bushing kits complete from UltraRev in the US.

I use an hydraulic press (small unit from SCA) and it takes about half a day to do a complete car (given that you already have all the parts out of the car).

I would save the money from having a shop do it, spend the money on a press, buy the bushes you need from the US (I use Energy Suspension exclusively because I know they work and I get a good deal from the US even with shipping), press everything out, replace with new bushes, and you're car's handling will be transformed.

This is the hard way:

http://www.preludepower.com/forums/s...d.php?t=348302

A press makes it so much easier and much less messy.

Peter
    Last edited by jdm_b16a; 08-09-2012 at 07:39 AM.
    Still here. Still kickin'

would you recommend a newby DIY'ing this stuff?? i dont wanna press it out only to find i cant press it in straight lols

Member Array
    Car:
    ED Sedan
    for the bushing kit look on Amazon. Their prices are insanely cheap

Moderator Array
    Car:
    Honda Civic VTi
    Quote Originally Posted by 202690 View Post
    would you recommend a newby DIY'ing this stuff?? i dont wanna press it out only to find i cant press it in straight lols
    The first time I did it, I struggled a bit but that was because the press was the only one SCA had, and it was at a special price. You could buy a bigger press, say 12 or 20 tonne.

Pressing the steel/rubber out is harder than putting the new polyurethane ones in. The trailing arm is not too hard.

Peter

Moderator Array
    Car:
    Honda Civic VTi
    Quote Originally Posted by markismaximus View Post
    for the bushing kit look on Amazon. Their prices are insanely cheap
    Not quite "Insanely cheap" but, yes, cheaper. Same kit $129.95 on Amazon; $146.95 on UltraRev.

Shipping by UltraRev is a flat $50 via USPS; Amazon ship via their own internal systems which is a bit longer but the postage was only $28.

So, yeah, good value Mark. I'll have to try them next time I place an order.

Peter
    Last edited by jdm_b16a; 08-09-2012 at 01:41 PM.

i noticed ultrarev dont have type r kits??

Moderator Array
    Car:
    Honda Civic VTi
    Quote Originally Posted by 202690 View Post
    i noticed ultrarev dont have type r kits??
    Did you look under "Honda" or "Acura"?

Peter

Member Array
    Car:
    Prelude Vtir
    Cheers for the info, I going to find this quite a mission due to having a bit less space in a one bedroom apartment and not having a garage. Does anyone know if you can rent one from a TAFE or something?

Quote Originally Posted by jdm_b16a View Post
    Did you look under "Honda" or "Acura"?

Peter
    seems like search function comes back with nothing for everythign i search now..

Just do all the work yourself, then when it comes time to use a press, take trailing arms and new bushes to any mechanic and they do it for you

alright! you guys making me do this now lols always needed to do this but never had the guts/tools to do such task. should i just replace the ones needing to or just pick up a master kit and do it all?