Member Array
    Car:
    Mx-5

turbo guide for a b18? need some opinions.

hey guys, im just after some opinions here. ive heard plenty about a turbo fwd car and how they are hard to control unless u get used to them. im still on my p's atm but once i get my full license next year, im thinking about turboing my dc4. what do u guys think about that? is that a big mistake or what?? im not really going to take my car up to the tracks or taking it to a drag strip. im just really interested in this. i just want a bit more power. im thinking of keeping my car for a fair long time. so i dont think selling it and buying another car is really an option. plus i love my car atm too much to sell it anyways. the motor in my car is farily healthy atm. just did a whole lot of servicing and repairs a few weeks ago so im not really keen on an engine swap to a b18c. (cause i mentioned i want more power earlier). also keep in mind that i am still learning here so im not really that mechanically minded. does anyone here have any experiences with a fwd turbo integra? and how does it feel etc? will i just blow away my money?? cheers.

Member Array
    Car:
    FD2 N/A what?
    Put simply if you think you'll enjoy a turbo teg, you will. I did! Plus a b18 from dc4 is still awesome
    i live my life full boost, one gear at a time.

Member Array
    Car:
    Mx-5
    how much did it end up costin you? are u running with stock internals?

Member Array
    Car:
    hondie 2000
    Quote Originally Posted by GU357 View Post
    your car do what you want.

But if you do, make sure you have a limited slip diff, and the essentials for a high power FWD car.
    its not as if its going to be the first turbo FWD car in the world or anything
    Quote Originally Posted by 4p1ay View Post
    If ur thinking long term and would prefer to keep the engine, u would have to make sure the engine will be able to support the turbo.. standard internals will be fine short term but won't last I guess is what I'm saying...

I'm guessing it's going to be a daily?

As above it's not the first fwd turbo car or anything... I love mine and yes u will have to get used to it but it's like anything new really..

If ur not going to hit the drags or tracking it I don't think handling side of things will effect u that much... Though I would suggest bigger brakes to make sure u can stop with the increase in power... Most engineers would require you upgrade this to pass anyway
    Quote Originally Posted by mooshie View Post
    A simple turbo setup will still run you a fair amount of money and be prepared for ongoing costs in excess of what you would spend on a standard NA car. There are many posts on here already so I won't get the whole 'how much' argument started again...

With regard to power, it doesn't take long to get used to it- and then you want more!
    yeh that is a good point, buying the turbo + install isnt the end of it.
    theres the replacement of internal parts, new rods, pistons and so forth. + Tune (probably 5 of these) + New ECU down the track.
    + the servicing cost.
    then if anything goes wrong omg.

but nothing is impossible if u want to spend the cash and make the beastiest dc4 go for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Goku View Post
    thanks guys. im not actually going to go crazy with the mods on it. like i just want a simple/basic turbo setup. nothing crazy really. i would buy a different car thats already turboed like a s14 or s15, skyline etc. but i guess they are a bit too common on the streets and i sorta want to be different and also because i love the dc2/4's. so im guessing an engine swap is obivously cheaper and less hassle in a way. but in terms of power gains will it be a lot of difference. say just a simple basic tubro kit compared to a b18c? sorry im not really mechanically minded and im still learning here. be patient with me please.
    Quote Originally Posted by FAITHLESS View Post
    Turbo will yield more power than swap. You could pretty easily get a b18c head for your b18b and you'd get some decent power for low cost. Also much less effort involved than an engine swap.
    hey guys, im just after some opinions here. ive heard plenty about a turbo fwd car and how they are hard to control unless u get used to them. im still on my p's atm but once i get my full license next year, im thinking about turboing my dc4. what do u guys think about that? is that a big mistake or what?? im not really going to take my car up to the tracks or taking it to a drag strip. im just really interested in this. i just want a bit more power. im thinking of keeping my car for a fair long time. so i dont think selling it and buying another car is really an option. plus i love my car atm too much to sell it anyways. the motor in my car is farily healthy atm. just did a whole lot of servicing and repairs a few weeks ago so im not really keen on an engine swap to a b18c. (cause i mentioned i want more power earlier). does anyone here have any experiences with a fwd turbo car? and how does it feel etc? will i just blow away my money?? cheers.

your car do what you want.

But if you do, make sure you have a limited slip diff, and the essentials for a high power FWD car.
    its not as if its going to be the first turbo FWD car in the world or anything
    Quote Originally Posted by 4p1ay View Post
    If ur thinking long term and would prefer to keep the engine, u would have to make sure the engine will be able to support the turbo.. standard internals will be fine short term but won't last I guess is what I'm saying...

I'm guessing it's going to be a daily?

As above it's not the first fwd turbo car or anything... I love mine and yes u will have to get used to it but it's like anything new really..

If ur not going to hit the drags or tracking it I don't think handling side of things will effect u that much... Though I would suggest bigger brakes to make sure u can stop with the increase in power... Most engineers would require you upgrade this to pass anyway
    Quote Originally Posted by mooshie View Post
    A simple turbo setup will still run you a fair amount of money and be prepared for ongoing costs in excess of what you would spend on a standard NA car. There are many posts on here already so I won't get the whole 'how much' argument started again...

With regard to power, it doesn't take long to get used to it- and then you want more!
    yeh that is a good point, buying the turbo + install isnt the end of it.
    theres the replacement of internal parts, new rods, pistons and so forth. + Tune (probably 5 of these) + New ECU down the track.
    + the servicing cost.
    then if anything goes wrong omg.

but nothing is impossible if u want to spend the cash and make the beastiest dc4 go for it.
    thanks guys. im not actually going to go crazy with the mods on it. like i just want a simple/basic turbo setup. nothing crazy really. i would buy a different car thats already turboed like a s14 or s15, skyline etc. but i guess they are a bit too common on the streets and i sorta want to be different and also because i love the dc2/4's. so im guessing an engine swap is obivously cheaper and less hassle in a way. but in terms of power gains will it be a lot of difference. say just a simple basic tubro kit compared to a b18c? sorry im not really mechanically minded and im still learning here. be patient with me please.
    Quote Originally Posted by FAITHLESS View Post
    Turbo will yield more power than swap. You could pretty easily get a b18c head for your b18b and you'd get some decent power for low cost. Also much less effort involved than an engine swap.
    Quote Originally Posted by eLtrix View Post
    Like Faithless stated above, a swap would cost you more and give you less power compared to a turbo straight up. Unless you of course do a swap then turbo the swap that's a different story. But if that's not the case and you want a instant gain in power, id just put in a turbo. Not sure about your laws or if you are on your P's like i am so be careful with turbo as it may be illegal like it is here in VIC.
    here's some food for thought
    S P A M | W O R K S
    hehe.
    PHC

Member Array
    Car:
    porsche boxster
    lol Curtis BAM!!!