Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Exhaust Issues

Member Array
    Car:
    MX5 CB400S4

Exhaust Issues

Hi everyone, i've got on 00 ek1 that i just put an exhaust on (xforce catback twinloop 2.25") and im having some issues. Firstly my car is stock except for the exhaust and me removing the resonator. I find that since i installed the exhaust im noticing the car is very strangled and dosen't really rev out freely until im about 3/4 through revs and then it "comes alive" so to speak. I was expecting throttle response more then anything with the exhaust but i haven't really noticed any. Im thinking that is is maybe an issue that could be solved with a new intake but still even with a stock intake shouldn't the exhaust but quite a noticeable improvement over a stock one both power, and response?

Any ideas anyone?

Cheers.
    EK1 Daily Drive.

Member Array
    Car:
    EK Civic
    Hey dmad_dood, i found this site that sounds like what you're after:

http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/571...sure-the-myth/

If you check out the 4th paragraph it makes sense with why you're car seems to come "alive" in high rpm.
    From my experience, it you're after throttle response, that's more down to the intake side of things.

Member Array
    Car:
    MX5 CB400S4
    But i didn't go ridiculously wide i made sure of that 2 1/4" is supposed to be the sweet spot, but its funny just of of curiosity i took off the top of my stock air box for a quick drive and the car did go a bit better. Intake probably would help a lot with flow and then if i changed my cat and headers now i think that would really top it off. I was looking at a simota intake (pretty sure its the j's racing whale penis copy) and they look alright, probably end up going for one of them.
    EK1 Daily Drive.

Member Array
    Car:
    (.Y.)
    Make sure you have 4-2-1 headers/extractors with the 2.25" high flow cat that is 100cpsi or 200cpsi all the way through to the xforce twinloop muffler (2.25").
    4-2-1 headers help with the low - mid range. Cold air intake from ebay or brand company will help with the combination.
    VTEC Gets You Laid!!!!!

Member Array
    Car:
    EK Civic
    Do you mean this intake?

I threw this one on my d16y4. 1 - cause i wanted throttle respons and 2 - because it looked saweet! but all it did was bog the engine down when i tromped the throttle.
    If you're running a full stock oem intake atm, try removing all the resinators and blocking any holes. That should get you direct air into the motor and give you better response, plus no $$'s spent

Member Array
    Car:
    b18c2+T Ej8
    4-2-1 headers will help with mid high rpm range
    4-1 will help with low mid range.

Upgrade headers and Cat converter. and you should get better performance include a tuning.
    possibly you cat is clogged
    Last edited by hmetro24; 09-09-2012 at 08:47 PM.

Member Array
    Car:
    MX5 CB400S4
    4-2-1 headers will help with mid high rpm range
    4-1 will help with low mid range.
    If im not mistaken 4-2-1 help low-mid and 4-1 are top end?

Thats interesting with the intake thou and yeah thats the one i was thinking of. Ive also heard with all mods you do to the car u need to reset the ecu? Can anyone verify this?
    EK1 Daily Drive.

Member Array
    Car:
    b18c2+T Ej8
    Quote Originally Posted by dmad_dood View Post
    If im not mistaken 4-2-1 help low-mid and 4-1 are top end?

Thats interesting with the intake thou and yeah thats the one i was thinking of. Ive also heard with all mods you do to the car u need to reset the ecu? Can anyone verify this?
    yes right 4-2-1 for low mid, 4-1 for top end for high revving engines. My mistake :|

Member Array
    Car:
    Honda S15
    Hi everyone, i've got on 00 ek1 that i just put an exhaust on (xforce catback twinloop 2.25") and im having some issues. Firstly my car is stock except for the exhaust and me removing the resonator. I find that since i installed the exhaust im noticing the car is very strangled and dosen't really rev out freely until im about 3/4 through revs and then it "comes alive" so to speak. I was expecting throttle response more then anything with the exhaust but i haven't really noticed any. Im thinking that is is maybe an issue that could be solved with a new intake but still even with a stock intake shouldn't the exhaust but quite a noticeable improvement over a stock one both power, and response?

Any ideas anyone?

Cheers.
    Upgrading the exhaust wont have a noticeable effect on throttle response.
    Intake would of been a better choice. Dont forget to reset the ecu as well.

If you want throttle response. Get a lightened flywheel.
    I guarantee you will get better results with throttle.
    Choke dealer

Member Array
    Car:
    MX5 CB400S4
    Upgrading the exhaust wont have a noticeable effect on throttle response.
    Intake would of been a better choice. Dont forget to reset the ecu as well.
    I wanted the noise mainly The cars a daily drive so i don't wanna go lightened flywheel but the idea has crossed my mind.
    EK1 Daily Drive.

Member Array
    Car:
    Honda S15
    I wanted the noise mainly The cars a daily drive so i don't wanna go lightened flywheel but the idea has crossed my mind.
    it's not that hard daily driving with s lightened fly. I did it. Didn't really have to alter the way I drive either.

I seriously do not know what some people are complaining about
    Choke dealer

Member Array
    Car:
    EG5 B18C7
    Quote Originally Posted by DakDak View Post
    it's not that hard daily driving with s lightened fly. I did it. Didn't really have to alter the way I drive either.

I seriously do not know what some people are complaining about
    agreed , I have the sports organic clutch with lightened flywheel and I couldn't be more happier . revs are quick , response is amazing .. lol a little top responsive with bumper to bumper traffic but overall worth it .

car slows itself down so can ease on riding brakes too often , hence longer brake life .

not bad if you ask me !
    " MY VTECC GOES BWAHHHHHHHH BAHHHHHHH BWA BWA BWAAHHHHHHH "