Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    05 DC5S

How long do you wait before you drive?!

I was just curious.... How long do you guys let your engine idle on first start up before you start driving your car? a minute or two? or even longer??

What are the effects of starting and driving straight away and starting then waiting a while???

Into Gundam and Anime?! Check out my business at www.facebook.com/officialgundamuniverse

www.gundamuniverse.com.au

Member Array
    Car:
    CivInteJazPreAc
    15-30 secs

i dont idle, but i dont go all out on the pedal either. for the first 5 mins its usually easy going. once i see the temp reaching normal operating i will resume normal driving.

Member Array
    Car:
    eg civic
    I wait like a few minute before I start driving but even then I baby it because the gearbox is still cold.

Member Array
    Car:
    EF8
    Ideally the engine should be 70 degree's plus for abit of spirited driving. Which without an oil temp gauge is hard to judge. Apparently idling the car to warm it up is worse than babying the car. I normally baby it till it warms up. I just wait atleast till the coolant is showing warm, then give it a few more minutes and its probably as hot as it will get while babying it.

Member Array
    Car:
    CD5 & GE6
    Wait about two minutes at a 6am start (5 days a week) just idling and then drive by babying it... Then after a few more minutes (at temp) ill drive normally
    Gearbox is too cold to be doing 0-60 in 5 secs when cold lol
    Last edited by Jasemas; 09-09-2012 at 06:07 PM.
    You've gone through more accords than I changed underwear this month! - Sugz

www.OzAccord.net/forum

Member Array
    Car:
    DA9 with B18c2
    just chill and relax in bed press a button car starts .. go to sleep for 30 mins
    then press the button again .. go take a slash and off and i go
    DA9 B18c2
    http://www.facebook.com/RisingSunBaseJumping
    Base Jumping & Wingsuit Flying is my LIFE

Member Array
    Car:
    EG5 B18C7
    I wait 2 - 3 mins till it gets a decent warm .. facebook a little and head off
    " MY VTECC GOES BWAHHHHHHHH BAHHHHHHH BWA BWA BWAAHHHHHHH "

Member Array
    Car:
    porsche boxster
    Some interesting theorys above..

Its not advised to warm up or idle a car before driving away,just dont rev the hell out of it until its at operating temp.

Even the owners manual tells you do not sit there idling to warm up engine

Quote Originally Posted by EKVTIR-T View Post
    Some interesting theorys above..

Its not advised to warm up or idle a car before driving away,just dont rev the hell out of it until its at operating temp.

Even the owners manual tells you do not sit there idling to warm up engine
    Agree.
    Lets define "warm up" - this means reach optimum operating temperature - this will take 10-15mins if the car is stationary from a dead cold start - longer if its a cold morning.
    This is not recommended and should be avoided.
    But , most people (common sense) should imply by "warming up" - is to sit for a minute , then drive off with no major load on the engine until optimal temp. is reached.

Member Array
    Car:
    hondie 2000
    start the engine, select a song, drive off.. so no more than 20sec. then drive gently so everything warms up at the same time.

I like to avoid that cold engine rich mixture fuel wash.
    S P A M | W O R K S
    hehe.
    PHC

Member Array
    Car:
    CD5 & GE6
    I'd like to wait for the oil pressure to build up a bit...As well as got to the head - Just a couple of minutes
    As i'm running 20w-50 - bit thick lol
    You've gone through more accords than I changed underwear this month! - Sugz

www.OzAccord.net/forum