Page 49 of 50 FirstFirst ... 394647484950 LastLast

***Official What did you do to your ED/EF/CRX today!***

I have a 91 ed civic and was wondering what I'm supposed to do with the vacuum lines if I want to run cone filters on my dual carbs? There seems to be quite a few hoses running from the filter cover case to various places and I'm not sure if they're important or what to do with them. Any help would be appreciated

The only thing I can suggest is get a small vise grip, clamp each hose off 1 at a time and see what effect that has.

Quote Originally Posted by hondapop View Post
    The only thing I can suggest is get a small vise grip, clamp each hose off 1 at a time and see what effect that has.
    I ran the car with them all open for a bit and nothing seemed to be affected or I couldn't tell at least so I'm not sure if I can just remove them or what.

The last carby'd car I had was the GA2 City and that was only a single. It had enough hoses to deter me from touching them. As I remember several went into a "box". Never found out what was in there, so can't help you on which may or may not, if any, can be done away with, or what the effects might be.

Member Array
    Car:
    ED Sedan
    Look at it this way, if they served no purpose Honda wouldn't have fitted them.
    When you say you've run the car, have you driven it or just let it idle? Was the car hot or cold. IMO you are asking for trouble removing the hoses. As people have said above putting them all back when the car runs like a dog is not going to be fun.

Anyone know why Honda made these screws out of the weakest metal ever? Mine striped as soon as I applied the smallest amount of pressure.

Usually caused be using a too small screwdriver tip. Phillips head screws require a close fitting tip of the correct size. The age of these would also mean, the threads have probably seized.

Quote Originally Posted by michael.908 View Post
    FFamily

Quote Originally Posted by michael.908 View Post

Anyone know why Honda made these screws out of the weakest metal ever? Mine striped as soon as I applied the smallest amount of pressure.
    One reason, they are not Phillips head screws they are JIS, you need a JIS screwdriver to fit properly and avoid damaging the head. A Phillips head driver will "work" but does not fit perfectly resulting in it slipping out and stripping. The small dot on the screw head identifies it as JIS, Google will tell you the differences...

The other reason as mentioned is they are old and probably never been taken out and seized.

That is interesting, haven't heard of that one, I guess JIS stands for Japanese Industry Standard? Wonder if the threads are a different pitch to others as well.

Quote Originally Posted by hondapop View Post
    That is interesting, haven't heard of that one, I guess JIS stands for Japanese Industry Standard? Wonder if the threads are a different pitch to others as well.
    Yes, JIS is Japanese Industrial Standard.

The threads are standard metric, I haven't bothered comparing the spec but I've never had another metric screw of the same nominal diameter fail to thread where a JIS screw was used.

There is another called posidrive which can be confused with standard Phillips drive as well, but I doubt you would see them on an old Honda.

So, everyone go out now and buy themselves a JIS screwdriver and see how much easier it is to undo without damaging JIS screw heads!!!