Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    CZ4A EVO X

B18 with B16 head OR B20B??

Hey im looking of doing a conversion in my 2000 Ek Hatch i just dont know if i should do a B20B or a B18 with a B16 head i want to stay N/A ive got about $5000 i dont have to have the motor built and in now i would not mind slowly building the motor over a few months if i do the B20B i would like to do forged pistons and rods and shotpeen the crank with just a B18 vtec head for now and do the head later or do the B18 with the B16 head and either get type r pistons and rods or just get forgies.

Cheers,
    LowEk

Member Array
    Car:
    AP1 S2000

sounds cool

i think you are on the right wavelength mate, good choice in staying NA
    i would have to say that the B18c with the B16a is a good combination as it provides the high flow of the B16 head and the low end torque of the B18c
    in my opinion i would go for the B20, especially in an EK it is something to be proud of as it would then be something extremely different, also it has good torque and standard is a healthy engine, the internals will be kick ass too you would nearly spend 5k on getting the big fella in there

would love to know how it goes mate!

Member Array
    Car:
    '94 Civic VTi
    b20 sleeves are thin as.. thats the downside..
    [TNT] Team No Traction - Cos No Traction Is Underrated

Two turbos, is better then one.

Needs more time... Array
    Blog Entries
    B20 should be ok as long as you don't rev it out too much (unless you resleave). OTherwise b18 is your best bet).
    Got a question? Check out the FAQ - http://www.ozhonda.com/go/faq

Member Array
    Car:
    CZ4A EVO X
    with the B20 if i resleave the block would i still have problems??
    i dont intend on reving the piss out of the motor say 6500rpm the would be more than enough revs to make enough power out of.

Cheers,
    LowEk

Member Array
    Car:
    K20-EG Drag Car
    A good B20 will still be happy at 8k..
    Personally I go B18C, with a ported B18C head... I'd use CTR pistons whic will make you see almost 12:1 compression, crane stage 2 cams, good valves Maybe 0.5mm oversized and springs, dished retainers. with a good tuned comp you'll see around 160wkw on pump gas and run mid to high 12's

Banned Array
    Car:
    Gen3 CRX
    The B18A/B and the B20 are the same block, same crank displacement. Only difference is bore size 81 vs 84mm and sleeve material.

If you're going to resleeve ANY of the above blocks, resleeve whichever you can find cheapest. Resleve it upto 86mm NA or 83-84mm FI

for NA, you cant beat a B18B B20 block at 84-86mm. Port match the head to the cylinders for better breathing (81mm to 84-86mm diameter).

Fact: the ITR cyl head has the same cc chamber as the B16A head. In fact, essentially its the same head.
    Fact: the B18B head will raise your compression in a NA combination over the B16 head
    Fact: with a large bore engine, the piston dome will not need to be as large to obtain high compression = good thing

So personally, what im saying is, if you're going to the expense to re-sleeve, go 84-86mm, port match the head, high compression, and you'll be looking at close to 300+ whp NA

Cant beat that!

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    91 Honda Integra

Question

Quote Originally Posted by ProECU
    The B18A/B and the B20 are the same block, same crank displacement. Only difference is bore size 81 vs 84mm and sleeve material.

If you're going to resleeve ANY of the above blocks, resleeve whichever you can find cheapest. Resleve it upto 86mm NA or 83-84mm FI

for NA, you cant beat a B18B B20 block at 84-86mm. Port match the head to the cylinders for better breathing (81mm to 84-86mm diameter).

Fact: the ITR cyl head has the same cc chamber as the B16A head. In fact, essentially its the same head.
    Fact: the B18B head will raise your compression in a NA combination over the B16 head
    Fact: with a large bore engine, the piston dome will not need to be as large to obtain high compression = good thing

So personally, what im saying is, if you're going to the expense to re-sleeve, go 84-86mm, port match the head, high compression, and you'll be looking at close to 300+ whp NA

Cant beat that!
    hey i thought the b16 head had a C\R of 10:4:1 and b18b had a C\R of 9:2:1

Banned Array
    Car:
    Gen3 CRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Mystic_Integra
    hey i thought the b16 head had a C\R of 10:4:1 and b18b had a C\R of 9:2:1
    you thought right.

piston domes and cylinder head CC volumes are different for the aforementioned engines.

Quote Originally Posted by weq
    b20 sleeves are thin as.. thats the downside..
    Quote Originally Posted by wynode
    B20 should be ok as long as you don't rev it out too much (unless you resleave). OTherwise b18 is your best bet).
    ahhhhh, soooo many B20 "experts"

my B20VTEC revved out to 8500rpm+

ran many 1/4 mile passes and many laps of hard circut racing.

the key was the right support parts, like stronger rod bolts (ARP) and head studs, plus simple Type R bolt ons.

no need to re-sleeve IMO.

b20vtec is much better than a B18/B16 combo, PMK me if you are interested in the details, (or a quote for me to build you one )

howerver - for ease of swapability, non vtec has a very good point, a re-worked B18C will be pretty strong and provide good power too, maybe at a similar cost.

but COST all comes down to whether the 5000 budget you have is just for the engine (ii think most of us above have assumed that)

if the 5000 is also for the engine plus installation, you may as well spend the 5000 on doing up whatever engine is in there now (B16A?) as 5K is not going to buy you much in terms of labour...
    B20VTEC - since 2002

Member Array
    Car:
    CZ4A EVO X
    (A good B20 will still be happy at 8k..
    Personally I go B18C, with a ported B18C head... I'd use CTR pistons whic will make you see almost 12:1 compression, crane stage 2 cams, good valves Maybe 0.5mm oversized and springs, dished retainers. with a good tuned comp you'll see around 160wkw on pump gas and run mid to high 12's)

Has this been tested or is it just what your opinion on what will work non vtec??

(So personally, what im saying is, if you're going to the expense to re-sleeve, go 84-86mm, port match the head, high compression, and you'll be looking at close to 300+ whp NA)

has this been done pro ecu?? how much am i looking at in doing this??

as tinkerbell said i just want to built a motor im in no rush to built it or put it in i can fit the motor myself thats no problem i am keen on what you have done to your B20B tinkerbell my idea on the B20 is buy a B20 block send it to a mate that is a engine rebuilder and do pistons,rods and maybe do something to the crank and in the mean time buy a head and start to sort that out weather i buy a B18R head and just bolt it on and save some money or just a B18B head and do that up not sure yet just wait till the time comes.

Cheers,
    LowEk

Quote Originally Posted by LowEk
    Has this been tested or is it just what your opinion on what will work non vtec??

My friend's b20 did rev happily around 8k (b20 with stock itr head,pistons etc..)

You could always stroke a b18c to 2L