Member Array
    Car:
    1998 200sx S14

After some general advice about 92 EG civic

Hey guys not really new to the forum been on here for a fair while but dont tend to post much. This may be one of my more noobish posts so it is in the noob section, anyway lets get to the point.

I own a '98 200sx (que for you to boo nissan if you like) and while i think my s14 is great i've started looking for a daily drive/run around car and stumbled upon a 1992 Civic GL. It is a twin carb d15b4 engine with what looks like a 3inch pod filter and steel pipe for intake with a 2 1/4 exhaust system and has clocked almost 250,XXXkms.

Took it for a drive and the car ran surprising well it picked up as best it could, no clutch issues i could feel, brakes were fine and didnt show any signs of stalling even though it sounded like the revs were running a little low. The exhaust is damn loud and drones but i honestly dont care.

The engine has done almost 250,XXX KM so i was just wanting to know:
    How long can i expect this engine to last?
    Is there a workshop service manual i can download from somewhere?
    From people with this engine what type of fuel economy are you getting?
    With this many KMs would it be wise to use a 15-40w Mineral oil?
    Are Carbs hard to work with? how often would they need cleaning/checking?

performance wise i know this engine is a no go so when the engine decides to blow out and cant be fixed for cost and I was thinking of tossing in a b16 or maybe the d16y1 engine (think that one is the SOHC Vtec unit). When compared to a EG6 is there any major differences in the body? or are the only differences in the brakes, b16 engine etc?

Any help would be very appreciated and advice would be awesome.

Cheers
    FenrirWC

Buy a EFI one no ****ing around with carbs if you want daily reliability and good mileage
    WP PB 1:15:03

Member Array
    Car:
    Integra
    Quote Originally Posted by FenrirWC View Post
    Hey guys not really new to the forum been on here for a fair while but dont tend to post much. This may be one of my more noobish posts so it is in the noob section, anyway lets get to the point.

I own a '98 200sx (que for you to boo nissan if you like) and while i think my s14 is great i've started looking for a daily drive/run around car and stumbled upon a 1992 Civic GL. It is a twin carb d15b4 engine with what looks like a 3inch pod filter and steel pipe for intake with a 2 1/4 exhaust system and has clocked almost 250,XXXkms.

Took it for a drive and the car ran surprising well it picked up as best it could, no clutch issues i could feel, brakes were fine and didnt show any signs of stalling even though it sounded like the revs were running a little low. The exhaust is damn loud and drones but i honestly dont care.

The engine has done almost 250,XXX KM so i was just wanting to know:
    How long can i expect this engine to last?
    Is there a workshop service manual i can download from somewhere?
    From people with this engine what type of fuel economy are you getting?
    With this many KMs would it be wise to use a 15-40w Mineral oil?
    Are Carbs hard to work with? how often would they need cleaning/checking?

performance wise i know this engine is a no go so when the engine decides to blow out and cant be fixed for cost and I was thinking of tossing in a b16 or maybe the d16y1 engine (think that one is the SOHC Vtec unit). When compared to a EG6 is there any major differences in the body? or are the only differences in the brakes, b16 engine etc?

Any help would be very appreciated and advice would be awesome.

Cheers
    FenrirWC
    Welcome to the Honda club! I wouldn't personally bother with the carbie, but if you're just going to run it into the ground and then swap it, I guess you can't go wrong.

Got pics of your kouki?

Member Array
    Car:
    1998 200sx S14
    Quote Originally Posted by Glocker View Post
    Buy a EFI one no ****ing around with carbs if you want daily reliability and good mileage
    I would if i could but this is tassie -_- not many cars to pick from under $4grand and this does seem like the best i can find right now not to mention its damn cheap. the other option i have is to find a cheap motorbike and finally get my motorbike license which i have been wanting to do for about 4-5 years now.

Gotta remember tho this is a daily drive/ride and i have been weighing up the motorbike vs car pros and cons options. This EG decision isnt set in stone though.

Quote Originally Posted by Indie View Post
    Welcome to the Honda club! I wouldn't personally bother with the carbie, but if you're just going to run it into the ground and then swap it, I guess you can't go wrong.

Got pics of your kouki?
    yeah the idea is just that buy a cheap run around car that i wont mod until the engine decides to go bang. at which point ill toss up between another cheap d15b4 engine for swap, scrap it or depending on the situation i might drop in a new high comp engine, upgrade suspension etc and turn it into a track beast.

As for Kouki pics found one not the best but she is due for a wash so ill take some good photos then

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	no_plate_Kouki.jpg 
Views:	200 
Size:	81.9 KB 
ID:	22929

Banned Array
    Car:
    B16EG-GD3-DC2
    wow, you must be strapped for choices, i even managed to find a b16 EG for less then 4g (payed 2k for it, biggest win of my life)

Carbs arent too bad to work on, but obviously will require more physical effort to keep them optimum.
    atleast you can do everything with your hands, and not worry about the ECU going fritz.

aslong as you keep them balanced, and then theres that stuff called carb cleaner, use it every 30,000kms or so, or just when its dirty shouldn't be a big job.

And as for B16 swapping into the old carby chassis, ive heard its a bit of a pain, with the EFI issues.
    and then the Brakes need swapping to better eg6 or dc2 ones. Also the Rear suspension is slightly different.
    no sway bar, so you need to get a eg5 subframe and lcas or buy one of these.
    then you can put a sway bar on. (not essential but you will need this if you want to make a track monster)

Ive been making a list of things required for my EG4 (GLi model but has been b167 swapped without any suspension or brake upgrades)

ECU chip $40
    - VTEC @ 4600
    - revised timing
    - drag launch @4000
    - shift light at @ 7,700
    - idle @ 850

Cluster up to ~$80

B18C Cams ~$150

Brakes DC2 all round ~$600
    -Prop Valve
    -Arms

Civic Integra Suspension Kit ~$400 shipping incl
    FRONT+REAR CONTROL ARM + SUBFRAME BRACE+ CAMBER KIT

Rear Sway Bar - $190
    Ultra Racing 18mm (if not larger)

front sway bar ~$250

Coilovers ~$1k

Recaro SR3 ~$300

DC2R seat rails ~$200

New Exhaust (after chipping) ~$350 (catback) + ~$600 Headers.

Member Array
    Car:
    Integra
    Quote Originally Posted by FenrirWC View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	no_plate_Kouki.jpg 
Views:	200 
Size:	81.9 KB 
ID:	22929
    Looks good! Somehow the green seems appropriate in picturesque Tassie.

Member Array
    Car:
    1998 200sx S14
    Quote Originally Posted by GU357 View Post
    wow, you must be strapped for choices, i even managed to find a b16 EG for less then 4g (payed 2k for it, biggest win of my life)

Carbs arent too bad to work on, but obviously will require more physical effort to keep them optimum.
    atleast you can do everything with your hands, and not worry about the ECU going fritz.

aslong as you keep them balanced, and then theres that stuff called carb cleaner, use it every 30,000kms or so, or just when its dirty shouldn't be a big job.

And as for B16 swapping into the old carby chassis, ive heard its a bit of a pain, with the EFI issues.
    and then the Brakes need swapping to better eg6 or dc2 ones. Also the Rear suspension is slightly different.
    no sway bar, so you need to get a eg5 subframe and lcas or buy one of these.
    then you can put a sway bar on. (not essential but you will need this if you want to make a track monster)

Ive been making a list of things required for my EG4 (GLi model but has been b167 swapped without any suspension or brake upgrades)
    yeah really strapped for choices and same as you im only looking to spend about 2g as its gonna be a daily run around actually jealous of you ya lucky bugger :P also going to take a look at a cbr250rr sometime in the next few days and depending on what my motorbike enthusiast friend says about it i might grab that instead and finally get my L's.

Quote Originally Posted by Indie View Post
    Looks good! Somehow the green seems appropriate in picturesque Tassie.
    Yeah she does look good was bone stock when i bought her and only had 85,XXX km, one owner was a very good bargin. Now she has Full suspension arms, 17x8 wheels with 225/45 all round, poly bushes to go in when the rubbers are worn out and HSD coilovers tho the rear right damper or top seal is gone so gonna have to get that fixed.

Apart from those she is still stock engine/intake/exhaust is untouched tho end of this month will be one year of owner ship so i might buy her a turbo back exhaust. Also police leave me alone which is sweeeeeeet ^_^