Member Array
    Car:
    Integra Type R

Grinding noise/No start

Guys got a problem with my car since i bought it,on occasion when i go to start my car whether its cold or hot, i get a grinding noise as if the starter isnt engaging with the flywheel correctly... i have inspected both the teeth on the flywheel and the starter and both are fine with no damaged or missing teeth!

I had a suspicion it could be the internals of the starter motor, so i swapped it out for a known working one with much less kms on it and to my surprise i still have the grinding noise,i have had the issue when i was at a friends house so i got him to crank it and i looked to see if the engine was turning over and it wasnt.... the previous owner told me my car has a spoon clutch with aftermarket flywheel so i dont know if theres something wrong with the way the flywheel was installed??

I have a new battery that was replaced 4 months ago so i can rule this out...

does any1 have any ideas or suggestions? im stumped and dont know what to do... everytime i have to start the car i cringe hoping it wont grind and embarrass me :S
    Last edited by dc2r-man; 18-09-2012 at 06:11 PM.

Member Array
    Suzuka Circuit "Spoon corner", Fuji Speedway "100R Corner"
    Car:
    DC2R & R32 GT-R
    happened to my dc2r in the past. If its clutch you mentioned, this may or may not help - everytime i start the car these days ive always press the clutch and let it crank. works fine now..
    "Stock Car, Modified Driver"

Member Array
    Car:
    Integra Type R
    Quote Originally Posted by EVLGTR View Post
    happened to my dc2r in the past. If its clutch you mentioned, this may or may not help - everytime i start the car these days ive always press the clutch and let it crank. works fine now..
    ok ill try pressing in the clutch when i start it, what do u think is causing this?

mine does sorta the same, though mine is like a winding/grinding noise, only happens sometimes, was told it could either be something in the dizzy on its way out or something to do with the fuel pump, when i start my car now i wait till i hear the fuel pump priming and then start it, havnt heard the noise in awhile now so guessing it could be my fuel pump, hope that helps

Member Array
    Car:
    Integra Type R
    Quote Originally Posted by trixx View Post
    mine does sorta the same, though mine is like a winding/grinding noise, only happens sometimes, was told it could either be something in the dizzy on its way out or something to do with the fuel pump, when i start my car now i wait till i hear the fuel pump priming and then start it, havnt heard the noise in awhile now so guessing it could be my fuel pump, hope that helps
    I can hear my fuel pump prime and my dizzy seems to be in good condition, ive even changed the rotor and cap not too long ago.... i think its my aftermarket flywheel ring gear.

Are the ring gears removable from the stock ITR flywheel?

Member Array
    Car:
    Integra
    Try spining the flywheel while the starter motor is out
    jack the car up and put it on jack stands
    get someone to turn the crank pulley bolt and try to hear for unusual noise around flywheel

if you want to get serious
    go underneath and open up the flywheel casing
    get your mate to spin the crank pulley bolt again and inspect any unusual noise
    Last edited by DC2-PWR; 24-09-2012 at 08:13 PM.
    無限 The Form is in the Function 無限
    teamGROUNDzero

Member Array
    Car:
    Integra Type R
    Quote Originally Posted by DC2-PWR View Post
    Try spining the flywheel while the starter motor is out
    jack the car up and put it on jack stands
    get someone to turn the crank pulley bolt and try to hear for unusual noise around flywheel

if you want to get serious
    go underneath and open up the flywheel casing
    get your mate to spin the crank pulley bolt again and inspect any unusual noise
    cheers ill give that a go

Member Array
    Car:
    P1.5 460F/350R
    your starter probably stuck, not pushing to flywheel
    or probably broken teeth on flywheel

not likely i guess.
    S P A M | W O R K S
    With our special rotational tires, it will allow you to drive very fast. - JK Tyre

Member Array
    Car:
    Integra Type R
    Quote Originally Posted by mocchi View Post
    your starter probably stuck, not pushing to flywheel
    or probably broken teeth on flywheel

not likely i guess.
    Not the starter as ive replaced it with a good working one and it still does it, ive even bench tested it and the starter is fine

Ive inspected the teeth on the flywheel from the starter side and all seems to be ok, will check from the inspection cover and see if i notice anything...

Member Array
    Car:
    Integra Type R
    any other ideas? im stumped on what to do, sorta embarassing when this happens in a carpark full of people....:S

I have heard it can be the bearings in the alternator going, got another alternator to test?
    EG

Ninja turtle Array
    Car:
    Chloe
    Starter motor solenoid. Sounds like a screeeeeeeching sound.
    --------------------------------------
    Stocky CL9 - 1:17.2