Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Racing seats for comfortability?

Hi guys,

After driving for a while in my teg (usually 30 mins +) i tend to suffer from a very sore back. I've been a sufferer of lower back problems in the past so this is most likely why. I was just wondering if there is anything i can do in the way of seating to at least somewhat relieve this? I currently only have stock dc2 seats and am curious about racing seats and the level of comfort they provide.

Would anyone (perhaps someone who has experienced both driving in stock seats and racing seats) be able to shed some light on this? Also, if they do make a large difference to comfort, would anyone be able to suggest some potential candidates?

Cheers!

Member Array
    Car:
    DC2R
    Recaros from the R. very conferrable. Back position is changeable. Easy install

I've heard Recaros are good seats but fairly pricey. Are the any other more affordable brands out that are still decent?

recaros are more comfortable, but still very irritating after long drives. specially because ur not free to move. and a pain to get and out of.

Member Array
    Car:
    Integra
    Grab a nice pair of N13 Pulsar seats... Mmm. Like a couch on wheels.

Member Array
    Car:
    Corolla Spec S
    get those bead things taxi drivers use
    peteju captures, like us on facebook..

bead things? =/ hmm.. looks like I'll be hard pressed to find the recaro sr3's around Adelaide. I went to Woodville auto wreckers once with a mate and we saw a few type r wrecks there so i could give them a ring i suppose. Was also having a look at "Saas" brand seats. They seem affordable and look comfy enough. They're around 250-300 and you can get the mounting bracket for it to suit a teg. Anyone had a bad experience with Saas? If not i might drop by auto barn and give them a "Saas" :P

Member Array
    Car:
    I own an Engine
    Cheap seats will mostly be uncomfortable and/or will degrade in quality very quickly e.g a friend bought some drift brand seats and within 2 months the padding went to shit and felt like you were sitting on a steel park bench.

If you need it for just holding you in around corners then as long as it's a bucket it will do the job. You want comfort and something that will hold you tight then be prepared to pay.

However there is a sweet spot and I believe these seats hit them perfectly (Bonus points because they are ADR approved)
    http://www.option1garage.com.au/Accessories.htm

Member Array
    Car:
    EG,DC2R,Euro
    Im selling a pair of near new recaro rep seats with rails look on my thread

---
    I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=-34.113654,150.803076

Member Array
    Car:
    your mum
    My lower back was in pain after sitting on the Recaro SR3 replica.
    I put a small cushion and it helps a lot.

Now I have Sparco EVO, they r comfortable. And cheaper than recaro.
    shift performance sell them, and that's where I got it from. Fast shipping too. Have a look at sparco web site for dimension.

Moderator Array
    Car:
    '90 EF8/'94 EH9
    Quote Originally Posted by Indie View Post
    Grab a nice pair of N13 Pulsar seats... Mmm. Like a couch on wheels.
    True. In fact most Nissan seats are very comfortable from my experience. And old Peugeot seats too!

Otherwise try to get a lower back support that straps around your seat. Good for your posture (paramount to core strength and a healthy back).

Thanks for all the suggestions guys!

Had a look into Saas seats, they don't look too bad and although they are ADR approved, I am not sure if the brackets that you can buy from them are.. I had a look in autobarn but they don't sell the brackets and referred me to some place which would be able to fit the seats for me. $350 per seat just to fit them plus $300 at least for the seat itself? They can shove it up their bum!

I decided to opt for a lumbar support cushion/device that a few of you suggested and have so far had great success with it! Only bought it today and it did set me back $80 which is alright, but still not as much compared to new seats. They said that if it doesn't work out for me I can just return it for a refund or exchange within a week so for the time being i'm just trialling it.

For those of you who experience back problems whilst driving, from my experience so far with little to no back pain (as opposed to a lot of back pain) I would recommend this (or a similar) contraption. It looks a bit daggy.. but they sell a black coloured wool elastic cover for it which matches my stock vti-r seat perfectly to offset that. I didn't get the cover yet, as the mesh would have better breathability what with the warmer weather (very slowly) approaching here in Adelaide.

Anyway, TL;DR
    -Had back pain whilst driving my vtir
    -New seats too pricey
    -Bought back support instead
    -Cheaper and works well

This is what it looks like