Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Member Array
    Car:
    '77 Civic
    Well, if you don't want loud as such, just run with the pioneer headunit, that'll at least give you a nicer sound. And then you have the 3 pre-outs which gives you the option to add a 4 channel amp, and a monoblock if you decide down the track you want to amp front speakers and add a sub.
    Also, the main difference between coax and splits of the same speaker is the coax has everything in one speaker (tweeter, woofer and crossover) and you can't adjust the tweeter gain, nor run active (not a huge matter on your side). My understanding is, that cause the tweeter and crossover are seperate in splits, that gives them more room to make the speaker better. the tweeter and crossover aren't taking up space. So in theory, it'll sound heaps better. plus the staging makes it sound better again.
    As for the stock speakers, same deal. they're probably just cheaper made ones (possibly).

The size of the speaker doesn't change how it sounds off the amount of power for one thing, the specs (sensitivity being one major one to look out for) are what you should be looking for. And generally, the smaller speakers don't sound as good.
    If you want some nice clear speakers that'll go well off your headunit, invest in some focal speakers, they are designed to run off headunits (but can take the extra power from amps) and are very sensitive, and sound great.

As for amps, they aren't neccesarily messy, or time consuming... it's about an hours work, and if you do it right, it's neat and tidy. All you'd have to do is run a few cables up under your carpet (pull one seat out, and a few side trim panels probably. easy to do. being careful of airbag plug)

But as said, if you don't want to spend large dosh, just chuck in the headunit, and run the standard speakers. that should sound fine for what you're after

Member Array
    Car:
    2 Tonne Ek Tank
    Quote Originally Posted by curtis265 View Post
    sorry for the noob question, but TbM, why do you recommend a 2channel amp and a monoblock instead of having a 4channel amp and using 2 for the splits and 2 for the sub?
    4 channel amps don't usually have a high rms output so your limiting your sub choice.

ie if you buy a 4 ch that has bridged output of 300 ish rms @ 4 ohm you can only buy subs in that range, if you use a 2 ch and a mono block you can have a wider choice of subs and get an amp to match it.

also I usually run speakers on class ab amps and subwoofers off class d.

there is nothing wrong with using a 4 channel amp for splits and sub, that how my civic was originally but if your buying a new system there no point getting a 4 ch amp cause you think you might get a sub later as you will restrict your sub choice.
    "I have no idols. I admire work, dedication and competence." - Ayrton Senna

So I bit the bullet and installed an Alpine double DIN DVD touch screen unit. I think it’s a pretty good one, has 3 RCA outs and 18W RMS high powered built in amp to some audio standard. The headunit was relatively easy to remove and replace, only issue was the wiring harnesses they suggested which didn’t fit the alpine touch screen! Apparently they don’t make any for it so I soldered the one that came with headunit to a harness I bought to plug into the existing Honda one. I think I did a pretty good job, tinned the ends and heat shrunk it etc. So far so good except when I turn on the car lights the thing thinks your in reverse so brings up the reverse camera (which I don’t actually have) and you cant use the screen. SO have to fault find that one.
    I wouldn’t say theres a massive difference in sound quality which is a bit disappointing, it defiantly goes louder and is definitely clearer louder but at lower volumes the speakers actually sound a little fuzzy (I think there fuzzy at louder too you just cant notice it as much). I thought the stock speakers would’ve been pretty good with the new headunit but doesn’t look like it. I pulled a rear speaker out and it looked of reasonable quality, small magnets but I thought that would’ve been a good thing with only running the speakers off headunit without amp. Might play with the settings a bit more on the headunit too.

Member Array
    Car:
    '77 Civic
    You've wired the illumination wire to the reverse sensor wire, hah.
    And yeah, play with the settings a bit.
    as for the fuzzy sound, I'm not sure about that... could be bad ground?

Member Array
    Car:
    1990 Civic ED6
    Realise this is an somewhat old thread but just wanted to inform the OP that alpine makes a power pack for their headunits, which can just tuck away under the dash, and bridged it can create 90W rms at 4ohm of power, this is a good option if you wanted to keep the car tidy and avoid a full amplifier. I am fairly sure it would work with your head unit as its an alpine universal product. Not sure if you've looked into that at all.