Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    Honda Integra

How exactly do mobile speed cameras work ??

I have don't a lot of research and have spoken to a number of my friends, but I always get different answers. I just want a straight answer
    Well anyway I was going around 80km in a 70 zone on silverwater road, NSW
    I was travelling towards bankstown, and on the other side of the road facing opposite of me was the ford territory, I quickly slowed down to under 70, as I passed the front of it.
    Do mobile speed cameras work like regular cameras and get you as you pass them ? Or can they catch people from both directions, and even if you're on the opposite side of the road (I was facing the back of the ford territory) and drove past it at 70

Any advice will be great, thanks heaps!!

Member Array
    Car:
    Integra Type R
    Not sure how it is in NSW, but in QLD we have vans that can catch you from both directions. However, they mostly only use the vans that can catch you from one direction in surburban areas.

Member Array
    Car:
    Go Kart
    The Ford territory does both directions. They have 2x IR cameras mounted on each direction.

It likely snapped you before you even slowed down.
    ლ(ಠ益ಠლ) Y U DO DIS

Member Array
    Car:
    Honda Integra
    How about motorcyclists ? If mobile speed cameras catch you from front on, they don't have number plates on the front ?

Member Array
    Car:
    FD1-RR 2.7
    Yep for motorcyclist its a free pass if you manage to pull up quick enough, RTA has been trying for years to get front mounted number plates !

VOLTEX Array
    Car:
    Bus Route 703
    Those ford territory in NSW can catch you on a flat road, 2km in either direction, so you would have been caught even before you noticed it IMO

and motorcycles with front number plates will never happen, its kind of ironic how the RTA etc wants to impose road safety but wants to implement a front number plate on a motorbike.
    Winton 1:37.76 Phillip Island 1:55.27

Quote Originally Posted by Stig View Post
    Those ford territory in NSW can catch you on a flat road, 2km in either direction, so you would have been caught even before you noticed it IMO

and motorcycles with front number plates will never happen, its kind of ironic how the RTA etc wants to impose road safety but wants to implement a front number plate on a motorbike.
    What is the safety issue of having front number plates??

Some bikes have a do not have mounting point on the front as the forks are there.
    If is on the fender mounted sideways the camera may not pick it up.

CBR, no mounting spots

Dirt Bike, No mounting spots

125cc, no mounting spots

Cruiser, no mounting spots

Ariel Huntmaster 650, Sideway mounted plate on front wheel fender

Sure the government could make a law saying that all bikes must have front mounting points on the bikes.
    Last edited by Grayfox; 25-12-2012 at 04:17 PM.

Member Array
    Car:
    4WD 89 Concerto
    Quote Originally Posted by Stig View Post

I've seen them from a distance here in Sydney, slowed down as soon as I saw it and never received any fines.
    OEM parts whore

Member Array
    Car:
    Go Kart
    Sometimes sit hidden after a bend though, sneaky ball lickers.
    ლ(ಠ益ಠლ) Y U DO DIS

VOLTEX Array
    Car:
    Bus Route 703
    Quote Originally Posted by bos1234 View Post
    What is the safety issue of having front number plates??
    in case of an accident the front number plate may go into the driver
    Winton 1:37.76 Phillip Island 1:55.27

Quote Originally Posted by flipfire View Post
    Sometimes sit hidden after a bend though, sneaky ball lickers.
    Or at the bottom of a hill