Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    How do they work? They ping you with a laser and get a measurement from that. How close, probably 50 metres, more info here - http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/roadsafety...lespeedcameras

"Previously there was one warning sign 50 metres before a mobile speed camera vehicle. There will now be 2 warning sign on the approach to a mobile speed camera. The additional warning sign will be placed up to 250 metres before a mobile speed camera vehicle."

In NSW they are just a few meters from the car itself.

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    '11 Euro CU2
    In Victoria, hwys is one direction whatever the speed camera is facing, they'll catch the cars going the same direction. Opposite direction is lucky.

In suburban streets of 1-2 lanes flowing both directions is unlikely, i got caught doing the opposite direction 6km/hr above the speed limit thinking they don't flash opposite direction vechicles.

Usually an odd park mobile speed vehicle, is the obvious sign. I've seen them park on grass, i think footpath, behind really big trees, when i was heading down to philip island there was knee high crops and they were parking in it. Parking in front of cars is a common one especially on pascoe vale road where i memorised alot of the cars then one there was a odd commodore which i've never seen before, past it at 55km/hr and bam it was a speed camera. If you use suburban roads alot, it pays to memorise alot of the park cars.

The way they are park once you pass them, drive at normal speed for 100m is good rule.

Quote Originally Posted by CrystalSkull View Post
    How do they work? They ping you with a laser and get a measurement from that. How close, probably 50 metres, more info here - http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/roadsafety...lespeedcameras

"Previously there was one warning sign 50 metres before a mobile speed camera vehicle. There will now be 2 warning sign on the approach to a mobile speed camera. The additional warning sign will be placed up to 250 metres before a mobile speed camera vehicle."
    Laser.

Distance from car and time for laser to be fired and bounce back even though the time is nanoseconds it can be measured.