Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: dc2r spare key

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    DC2R

dc2r spare key

So I basically want a spare key for my dc2r, i've got a black one and the spare red key + the little code for your keys but just wondering if i can buy an oem key off ebay without a transponder and just get it cut.

My car has an after market alarm system with immobilizer (i can't start the car unless i push the fob button) so can i get one of ebay or do I still need one with a transponder in it?

Have searched other threads but couldn't find a definitive answer.
    Last edited by blaze92; 27-09-2012 at 10:46 AM.

Member Array
    Car:
    Integra VTI-R
    I'm not 100% sure on the type-r... But i know that my VTi-R needs the key to have a chip in it, and be programmmed to your immobilizer.

I recently bought a blank from Ebay and it can't be cut for my car

Member Array
    Car:
    DC2R
    Yer the keys are chipped. Ive only got one also. I have cut the key. But the cut key wont start the car!
    2 things you can do. Buy a key with the transponder in it and when u get it cut they can set it for you. Properly expensive i dunno
    By pass the transmitter by either rewirering it or cutting the top of your key off and glueing it on the top on the ignition on the inside of the steering column! If you do that make sure u cut many of spare keys.

Also one thing. Even though you have a alarm. The chipped key is harder to by pass then a alarm modle under the dash. And alot of them are wired into the optional connector's on the fuse box. And when have no power they go into bypass, meaning there useless! Takes 2 seconds to diconnect. Just by opening the under dash fuse box!

So id keep the chipped key!

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    DC2R
    Quote Originally Posted by bronson11 View Post
    I'm not 100% sure on the type-r... But i know that my VTi-R needs the key to have a chip in it, and be programmmed to your immobilizer.

I recently bought a blank from Ebay and it can't be cut for my car
    I know the type-r has the stock immobilizer but i know that it also have an after market one as well so just wondering if anyone with an after market alarm/immobilizer has done this aswell

Member Array
    Car:
    Prelude ATTS
    Quote Originally Posted by blaze92 View Post
    So I basically want a spare key for my dc2r, i've got a black one and the spare red key + the little code for your keys but just wondering if i can buy an oem key off ebay without a transponder and just get it cut.

My car has an after market alarm system with immobilizer (i can't start the car unless i push the fob button) so can i get one of ebay or do I still need one with a transponder in it?

Have searched other threads but couldn't find a definitive answer.
    You need a transponder, without the transponder you will only be able to open the doors (Thats how the locksmith explained it). If you want a spare key that works with the ignition take your black or red key to Misterminit and they will cut you a spare worked for me

Quote Originally Posted by manolii View Post
    You need a transponder, without the transponder you will only be able to open the doors (Thats how the locksmith explained it). If you want a spare key that works with the ignition take your black or red key to Misterminit and they will cut you a spare worked for me
    can i ask how much that cost you?
    i also have spare red key but no metal plate with the number for that key..

Member Array
    Car:
    Prelude ATTS
    Quote Originally Posted by 202690 View Post
    can i ask how much that cost you?
    i also have spare red key but no metal plate with the number for that key..
    I dont have a red key so i just took my regular black key and it only cost like $70 works every time no problems

Member Array
    Car:
    DC2R
    Yeah you definitely need one with a transponder otherwise you can only unlock doors not start the car as mentioned above

So, long story short, you have three options...

You could go to honda and ask for a whole new immobiliser with red key and two keys programmed to it ($500, probably not including labour either) but that is stupid in your situation as you have the red key!!!

So there are two main options;

1. Buy an oem spare key ($60 from honda) and get it cut (by any locksmith; note I highly recommend having your key code [which honda can tell you from your vin] as otherwise it will be cut to match your current key which is often worn down etc. and the subsequent spare may not work as well as it should new...). Then you take it somewhere and get it programmed (around $50 at honda I think, but not sure) using the red key. The red key works by putting the immobiliser into a kind of 'learning mode' and it can then be taught to accept the new key..... Total cost perhaps $160-$200

2. Buy a non oem key (they should still be nearly identical looking) that is not locked to honda's programming equipment from an automotive locksmith. They will then be able to cut the key from your key code and reprogram it at the same time, without the red key being required. The way this works is by making an exact replicate of your current key, therefore the immobiliser does not need to be taught anything as it simply identifies the two keys as the same. Total cost should be no more than $150 all inclusive

Hope this helped

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    DC2R
    Thanks TGW92 for the great info!

I was thinking about buying a genuine oem spare key with transponder and then could i get a locksmith to code it identical to my black key? I'd imagine that would be a cheaper way then going to honda to get them to program it, or are the OEM keys only programmable by honda?

Member Array
    Car:
    DC2R
    Some locksmiths may be able to do it as long as you have the red key... But I am not 100% on that unfortunately... The problem is that a 'blank' unprogrammed key from honda isn't actually blank, it has coding on it that locks out most aftermarket coding machines... However Honda really shouldn't be too expensive to reprogram it, it takes around half an hour... At least give them a call and get a quote, and maybe call an automotive locksmith local to you for some more info Good luck!

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    DC2R
    Just called honda north, $80 for a blank key, $50 or $30 to get it cut (cant remember lol) and $130 to get it programmed with the red key. I think I might just try with an OEM key from ebay and see if any locksmiths can programme it.

Member Array
    Car:
    Prelude ATTS
    Quote Originally Posted by blaze92 View Post
    Just called honda north, $80 for a blank key, $50 or $30 to get it cut (cant remember lol) and $130 to get it programmed with the red key. I think I might just try with an OEM key from ebay and see if any locksmiths can programme it.
    Just out of curiosity does it have to be a Honda OEM Key? A normal key (with transponder) will do, not flaming or anything just wondering