Member Array
    Car:
    Mx-5

rattling sound??

lately i have noticed a weird rattling sound when i put my foot flat down. it seems to happen only when i slow down and then speed up suddenly again. say if i was slowing down and dropped it to 2nd gear, then i start taking off at like 25km/h or so, it makes this weird rattling sound. could anyone tell me what it is and is it bad? my mate told me that i will probably need a new driveshaft on the right hand side cause thats where the noise seems to come from. apparently is the inner cv joint? cheers.

Does it make the same noise when you take your foot off the accelerator abruptly from say 4-5,000 rpm?
    EG

Member Array
    Car:
    Pimpin rover
    Could be your cat

Member Array
    Car:
    Mx-5
    it only happens when i do sudden accelerations and it only seems o happen from 2nd gear onwards. not 1st. it also disappears around 3500rpm. could it be the gearbox?

I had a *similar* problem, turned out my engine mounts just needed tightening.
    EG

Member Array
    Car:
    Mx-5
    okay i'll try do that tomorrow. if thats not the case? what could it be?

Member Array
    Car:
    1991 integra
    does it happen going up hills? under load etc? if it is then it is pinging! change your spark plugs, leads and it should be ok. May need a dose of premium and injector cleaner also.

I guess this topic is no longer applicable as yo seem to have blown your motor OP. Was the rattling sound the timing belt hitting the coveR?
    EG

Member Array
    Car:
    Mx-5
    i wouldnt think so. cause i got that fixed a week after i started noticed it. hopefully with the new motor in it will stop that noise. if it was the cover still. but it sounded more like a bearing or some sort. im not too sure.