Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    Mx-5

engine swap? worth it or not?

hey guys i have been looking through websites and stuff but i cant seem to find a straight anser to my question and was hoping you guys could help me out here. i recently got my timing belt replaced on my 93 gsi integra and then got the water pump changed a week after that. but, i realised that since the water pump replacement, the timing belt cover was hitting against the timing belt. anyways, i got that fixed a week after because i was just bone broke. but that was all about a month ago and tonight was the unluckiest night of my life. i was driving back after buying a new set of rims, on the way back, my car died. i just had enough speed to pull over safely and check what was wrong. i couldnt find anything that was wrong with it. so my last hope was the RAA. they came and checked and finally found that apparently my timing belt snapped. so i reckon it was the timing belt cover hitting the timing belt, made it really weak and worn i guess.

so now to the real question, i am thinking of swapping it into a b18c2. i dont have unlimited funds like most of you guys here. so i was wondering if you guys could give me some advice wheter this is worth it or not. cause from what i heard to get this conversion done, i will need

the motor, gearbox, ecu, loom, suspensions (front), driveshaft. is that right? do i really need all of these? is it possible for me to use my current gearbox? since it is fairly healthy still. please help guys. would really appreciate it.

That's very unlucky for your timing belt to snap! did you diy it? sorry i have no experience in engine swap

Unlucky dude...

Now a days you can get a half cut for probably $3k + $1k for installation. Since you dont have a lot of cash as you mention, you could source another B18b motor for dirt cheap, as they are not very sought after, which would be a straight swap, without having to worry about the issues of engine swaps, minimising your time without a car.

If you were going to do a swap, a half cut is the way to go because you get everything you need, and they are:

Motor, box, engine loom, driveshafts, brakes, ECU, shift linkages.
    Last edited by infurNOS; 04-10-2012 at 11:48 AM.
    EG

Member Array
    Car:
    Mx-5
    Quote Originally Posted by infurNOS View Post
    Unlucky dude...

Now a days you can get a half cut for probably $3k + $1k for installation. Since you dont have a lot of cash as you mention, you could source another B18b motor for dirt cheap, as they are not very sought after, which would be a straight swap, without having to worry about the issues of engine swaps, minimising your time without a car.

If you were going to do a swap, a half cut is the way to go because you get everything you need, and they are:

Motor, box, engine loom, driveshafts, brakes, ECU, shift linkages.
    i know. i got it changed but i just have no idea how it snapped. wasted a good few hundred bucks and now its going to cost me more! would i need to change my gearbox or would it be okay with a the current one if i was to swap it with a b18c? yeah you have a really good point. i am a bit tight on cash. i think i might stick with the same motor. but i still want vtec :'( lol.

Member Array
    Car:
    05 DC5S
    I wouldn't suggest you using your old gear box. Healthy or not the one that comes with the half cut on the b18c2 will always be better. I did this myself awhile back, engine was about $3000 then you'd have costs of about $1000 for labor then some other hidden costs like new oil and what not summing up $200 or so.
    Total up you looking at around $4500 for the conversion to be done properly the first time.

VTEC is good, but in the end it turns down to your budget.
    IF you want the cheap route i would just replace your engine with another b18b and then turbo it in the long run.
    I got quoted around $500 for a complete b18b front cut.

Hope that helps
    Into Gundam and Anime?! Check out my business at www.facebook.com/officialgundamuniverse

www.gundamuniverse.com.au

Member Array
    Car:
    Mx-5
    $500 for a front half cut for a b18? far out. wish i lived where u are. i dont know if its just me. but here in SA there are like limited parts when it comes to hondas. especialy integras i guess. i got quoted for a b18b2 motor only is $1395. and a b18c2 is $2200. so i think i might stick with my b18 i guess and like u said. turbo it later on in life when i finish school. cause im thinking of keeping my car for a long time anyways. also i got a front half cut of a vtir integra for $4500. dont think i can afford that.

Member Array
    Car:
    05 DC5S
    Yeah. Gonna cost a lot to do a b18c. If you are short on money. Just do a standard swap. And turbo it. More fun later on.

Google hondworld and hondwreck. They are my local honda wrecks. They might ship it to you and might be cheaper in the end
    Into Gundam and Anime?! Check out my business at www.facebook.com/officialgundamuniverse

www.gundamuniverse.com.au

Member Array
    Car:
    CP2 / EG5
    I would put in a b16a better, it revs harder

Member Array
    Car:
    P1.5 460F/350R
    Quote Originally Posted by Tai View Post
    I would put in a b16a better, it revs harder
    did you go

when vtak hits
    S P A M | W O R K S
    With our special rotational tires, it will allow you to drive very fast. - JK Tyre

Member Array
    Car:
    4WD 89 Concerto
    Why not go with a non vtec b20? More power and torque and can be had for a few hundred $$$
    OEM parts whore

Member Array
    Car:
    Kermit K20A
    Just build an ls/vtec
    Kermit EGK20A
    Winton: 1:35.08
    Wakefield: 1:08.8

Member Array
    Car:
    DA9T+Euro
    Quote Originally Posted by grifty View Post
    Why not go with a non vtec b20? More power and torque and can be had for a few hundred $$$
    Agree, usually pretty easy to come across too. Thre was a whole CRV on gumtree here in SA for about $1000 (damaged) recently.
    DA9 LS w/JDM SiR B18C turbo
    Looking for older Honda project car pre-1985