Member Array
    Car:
    s2000

DIY GruppeM / K&N Air Filter Maintenance

Disclaimer: The following is provided as a GUIDE ONLY, and neither myself nor Ozhonda take any responsibility for the outcomes of someone else doing the following. You follow these steps at your own risk!

Aim: Cleaning GruppeM / K&N Filters
    Required: K&N Filter kit
    Steps:

STEP 1. Remove the filter from the vehicle cleaner case, and use a soft brush to get rid of large dirt particles.

STEP 2. Spray liberal amounts of the filter washer fluid on the filter, and let stand for 30 minutes (adjust the length of time according to the degree of dirt build-up).

*Note : Do not use high-pressure washing, steam cleaning, or solvents such as part cleaners, or gasoline, as these may damage the main body of the filter.

STEP 3. Rinse the filter from the engine side to the outer side using a gentle stream of water (be sure to avoid strong water pressure). After that, shake off all the excess water and let it dry in the shade.

*Note : Do not attempt to accelerate drying with an air compressor or drier, as the main body of the filter may become damaged and unusable.
    *Repeat steps 2 and 3 until all the dirt has been removed.

STEP 4. After it has dried, lightly spray the filter oil along the filter pleats from the outer side. Be careful not to apply too much oil as it will further penetrate and permeate the entire filter when left to sit for 5 minutes. If there still appear to be white spots after this time, lightly sprays those areas again.

If oil other than the special filter oil is used, such as ATF, engine oil, gasoline, light oil, or lubricating oil, it may result in damage to the filter or cause engine problems. Only the special filter oil can be used. Also do not use the filter under any circumstances if the oil has not been applied.

STEP 5. Replace the filter on the filter case and the job is complete.
    If it is a Replacement part, wipe the inside of the cleaner case before replacing the filter.

Other comments : TAKEN FROM gruppem.co.jp

http://gruppem.co.jp/en/maintenance.html

Member Array
    Car:
    DC5R
    Quote Originally Posted by XP02ED View Post
    STEP 1. Remove the filter from the vehicle cleaner case, and use a soft brush to get rid of large dirt particles.
    Thanks for the DIY.

Any DIY on how to remove the filter from the carbon housing? I purchased my DC5R with the intake pre-installed. So i got no idea how to work backwards
    Last edited by cupnoodle; 30-01-2009 at 10:41 AM.

Member Array
    Car:
    s2000
    There should be 2 Allen Key type bolts on a metal claps.

Just remove them and your filter should be remove along with the carbon housing.

To be specific see the metal clamp on this photo, u just need to remove that

Last edited by XP02ED; 30-01-2009 at 10:44 AM.

Member Array
    Car:
    DC5R
    Awesome! Will give it a try tonight. Rep +1

Member Array
    Car:
    EM1
    i need to do this badly on my k&n pod
    didnt realise how dirty it can get when the pod is down at the front of the bumper
    "since we're both asian.. I'll look after you and chuck in King Springs with the wheels and tyres for $1050"

Member Array
    Car:
    EM1
    did this to my pod
    what a difference it made

my pod was filled with black stuff everywhere

i got the bottle of oil with my k&n pack
    makes it nice n red after
    "since we're both asian.. I'll look after you and chuck in King Springs with the wheels and tyres for $1050"

Will this process work on a mugen ? using mugen products also ?

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    DC5
    Anyone know how often should they clean their GruppeM filter?