Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    98 Integra GSi
    I've got a 98 Integra GSi as well. Just hit 180,000kms. I'm currently running Castrol Magnatec 10W40, which seems to be doing fine, considering its not chewing oil. Although I'm thinking of trying a 5W40, with the assumption that it will warm up quicker.

My friend recommended Valvoline synpower 5W40, which I believe is a full synthetic.

Member Array
    Car:
    DA9,DA3,EG,DA9
    Getting away from Magnatec in general is a good idea as I believe I mentioned earlier in this thread. The first question is where do you live? As the climate will also dictate which oil to use.

Member Array
    Car:
    98 Integra GSi
    Quote Originally Posted by menacer View Post
    Getting away from Magnatec in general is a good idea as I believe I mentioned earlier in this thread. The first question is where do you live? As the climate will also dictate which oil to use.
    I live in Melbourne. Where u can experience up to 4 seasons in one day. Haha. Summer usuallly max 40 degrees. Winter only goes negative overnight, and averages 12 degrees during the day.

1. In these conditions, what oil would you recommend? Especially if I mainly do shorter trips, usually 10 mins or less.
    2. What exactly do you not like about Castrol Magnatec? It seems to be working fine for me.
    3. Would a 5W engine oil be too thin for the summer? As mentioned before, the car has done 180,000 kms.

just run the 10w40 and change it every 6 months man. magnatec will be fine.
    KEEP IT VIET | KEEP IT JDM
    FaLL iN LoVe WheN YoU aRe ReAdY, NoT WhEN YoU ARe LOnEly

Member Array
    Car:
    DA9,DA3,EG,DA9
    To quote me :
    if ur dumb enough to run castrol u deserve the early engine failure you will get... as for price point. 30-35 isnt gonna cut it in most weights for a decent oil. eg. HPR15 (what i would recommend if you were up here in QLD) retail hovers around the $40 mark. being in VIC Probs best to be running a 10 weight instead. unless ur tracking it, HPR 10 will do the job. if you are hitting the track, worth your while going to a penrite racing blend or mobil, royal purple etc.
    For your specific situation I'd be running some engine flush when you do your change and running a decent 10w oil (eg. Penrite HPR10). with almost 200,000k's dropping to a 5 weight for daily driving isn't worth the potential risks and extra costs.

Member Array
    Car:
    P1.5 460F/350R
    Quote Originally Posted by charliebrown View Post

just run the 10w40 and change it every 6 months man. magnatec will be fine.
    ballin bro
    choc flavor

10-30 magnatec is the best
    S P A M | W O R K S
    With our special rotational tires, it will allow you to drive very fast. - JK Tyre

Member Array
    Car:
    98 Integra GSi
    To quote me :

For your specific situation I'd be running some engine flush when you do your change and running a decent 10w oil (eg. Penrite HPR10). with almost 200,000k's dropping to a 5 weight for daily driving isn't worth the potential risks and extra costs.
    Yeah I saw your quote on Castrol earlier. You haven't said why you don't like Castrol. Yeah I've been doing engine oil flushes when I first got it serviced at 177,000kms in Feb. So I'll probs continue with that.

Also, what exactly are the potential risks for running a 5W? The only thing that comes to mind is that it would be too thin for the summer. If worst comes to worst, I'll just top up with 10W40.

Member Array
    Car:
    P1.5 460F/350R
    Quote Originally Posted by vs2306 View Post
    Yeah I saw your quote on Castrol earlier. You haven't said why you don't like Castrol. Yeah I've been doing engine oil flushes when I first got it serviced at 177,000kms in Feb. So I'll probs continue with that.

Also, what exactly are the potential risks for running a 5W? The only thing that comes to mind is that it would be too thin for the summer. If worst comes to worst, I'll just top up with 10W40.
    u got it backwards?
    the first number is for viscosity on cold climate.

look at your service manual and stick to what it recommends. they made your engine.
    S P A M | W O R K S
    With our special rotational tires, it will allow you to drive very fast. - JK Tyre

Member Array
    Car:
    DC2
    use the thinnest oil that dosent burn but start with what the manual recommends and go up if need be.

Member Array
    Car:
    DA9,DA3,EG,DA9
    Running a 5 weight will risk having oil pressure issues is the main concern. and for unless u were tracking it its not worth it. As for castrol (in the interest of not turning this thread into a war with the fanboys) lets just say, too much time and money spent on advertising instead of R&D. I'd strain and reuse my hpr15 before using magnatec... But ur car ur call. If u do keep running it, definately keep flushing every change and change Regularly!

Member Array
    Car:
    98 Integra GSi
    Quote Originally Posted by Daveho1 View Post
    use the thinnest oil that dosent burn but start with what the manual recommends and go up if need be.
    That's exactly what I'm gonna do. If the 5W40 does start getting consumed easily, I'll just top up with 10W40.

Here's an image from the owners manual:

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/818/nrgp.jpg/

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
    Last edited by vs2306; 26-08-2013 at 06:31 PM.

Member Array
    Car:
    DC2
    i wouldnt recomend mixing oils, in addition any high quality oil will suffice for a daily driver, im not 100% what "the good oil" was in 1998 but im sure a quality oil from the big manufacturers will exceed the original quality specs