Changing input shaft bearing , what else ? ****

hey guys
    im abt to change my input shaft bearing as its starting to get louder and louder..and was wondering since the box is gonna be pulled apart what else should i change while its open , like seals and other bearings ? maybe change syncros ? was thinking abt buying a syncro kit which isnt too expensive , also get a clutch

nothing wrong with my gears , just i might as well change it while its open

any help would be great..
    most likely i would get ben to do it.

cheers guys

Green block gangster Array
    Car:
    twin GX160's
    check all your bearings while its apart and replace any that have bearing failure.

if price is no object replace all bearings and clutch and syncro’s

if you don’t have gearbox rebuild experience or not confident, then do not replace the syncro’s or any bearing that needs to have preloads set as you can do more harm than good

Member Array
    Car:
    Civic
    I'd also send it away, paid $700 years ago for two techinicians to repair it, monster and daunting task for a novice

Money well spent as when you see the parts replaced it out weighs the effort
    WTB: EK oem JDM Visors

I love J-Cups

Quote Originally Posted by ECU-MAN View Post
    check all your bearings while its apart and replace any that have bearing failure.

if price is no object replace all bearings and clutch and syncro’s

if you don’t have gearbox rebuild experience or not confident, then do not replace the syncro’s or any bearing that needs to have preloads set as you can do more harm than good
    thanks for the reply , i will not be doing this myself

would anyone know who can do it for a great price ? home job etc

Member Array
    Car:
    hehe
    just pull box out then take ur it into a gbox place, save a bit of cash and not all that hard to do
    Last edited by renzokukenj; Today at 12:34 AM. Reason: hehe

Quote Originally Posted by u mad? View Post
    just pull box out then take ur it into a gbox place, save a bit of cash and not all that hard to do
    ^ this

Get it out yourself saves you $250-350 there. You need to reinstall it urself too tho.

Get it out and give it to me , Hannys or one of most other workshops around Sydney. Consider to replace also the upper mainshaft bearing and both upper countershaft bearings

Member Array
    Car:
    GOLDWING FTW
    change the detent springs they are small springs with ball bearings that locate the shifter rails in place they will prevent the selector fork chattering on the selector hub and reduce synchro wear and eliminate miss shifts if u decide to change synchro rings make sure u change the inner ringand intermediate ring for the corresponding gear otherwise its a complete waste of money
    dodgy engine james middle_name_james naughty_james noise thak_thak vibration
    View Tag Cloud

Member Array
    Car:
    '77 Civic
    As said, take gearbox to get rebuilt if you're worried about it.
    I assume input bearing is the throwout bearing.. if not, replace that and the clutch (should come with the clutch kit anyway, but eh) Check the flywheel, make sure it's not shiny. might need machining if you're unlucky. That's about all I can think of.