Threaded View

Member Array
    Car:
    EG5, PP1
    Quote Originally Posted by Adamjoeldavis View Post
    My proof which may not be big but i have seen it. At Mallala Raceway (near Adelaide) my dads mate races historics in his XU1 Torana gtr (full on group N i believe) and he always uses Toyos, then one day he was short on money and decided to buy second hand Yokohama tyres that were used from the Clipsal 500, and in that day, he made a whole second from them in his first round, second round he made another .3 so basically he made 1.3 seconds with Yokohamas instead if Toyos. Nothing was improved, all he did was the tyres and thats it. It maybe a softer compound than the Toyos but Yokohamas can last as much as toyos or longer, no less unless drifting and burnouts.
    I can't take this seriously. How is this proof? Tyres wear, age, harden, which is obviously going to contribute to the lack of grip. If you went out on the same day in the exact same car under the same track temperatures with 2 brand new sets of tyres, then that would be comparable. A mate of mine went from Toyo's to AO48's (which is what they use in historics btw) and consistently slowed by 2-3 seconds at Mallala. Im not saying that one of these tyres is better than the other but there's a lot of aspects that need to be considered when comparing tyres. Just cos you seen someone do faster times on one set than the other does not necessarily make those tyres better.
    Last edited by Tegzieboi_BAR; 10-12-2012 at 09:08 AM. Reason: can't spell
    Getting there...