Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    '03 BB AP1

RACQ inspection vs Mechanic inspection

Hi all,

I'm about to purchase an s2k from qld (im in sydney) but would of course first want to do a professional check on it.

Anyone had experience with RACQ over in QLD before? Do they actually perform a decent check or are they just taking people's money?

And would you rather an RACQ check or get the car looked at by a mechanic/garage that has experience with the type of car? (I'm thinking Hondacare, Centrax, 101 in Brisbane).

Member Array
    Car:
    AP1 s2000
    I had an S2000 checked by RACQ a couple of years ago, mainly because I didn't know where else to go. An experienced member on s2ki had checked out the car for me prior and said he couldn't find anything particularly wrong with it. The RACQ inspection was thorough enough to pick up minor panel defects, but most importantly broken diff and tranny mounts which were a red flag. However any decent mechanic should be able to do this. As far as I remember RACQ inspections don't include engine testing (compression tests etc) so I don't know how much more was probably wrong with the car. The S2000 is getting on so a thorough inspection is important.

If I could do it again I'd take my time to find a recommended mechanic to do a proper inspection, as they should be able to pick up on broken mounts and so much more. I was backed into RACQ testing because of time constraints - it was a GPW and I was the first of many interested buyers so I needed to make something of it.

My 2c.

Member Array
    Car:
    '03 BB AP1
    thanks for the insight.

so the RACQ inspector DID or DIDN'T pick up on the broken diff and tranny mounts? Sorry not sure how to interpret what you said haha.

But yeah i am trying to find a recommended mechanic in the area - annoying that the car is in another state

Member Array
    Car:
    Prelude ATTS
    Quote Originally Posted by black8thgen View Post
    thanks for the insight.

so the RACQ inspector DID or DIDN'T pick up on the broken diff and tranny mounts? Sorry not sure how to interpret what you said haha.

But yeah i am trying to find a recommended mechanic in the area - annoying that the car is in another state
    Sounds like it did pick up those issues, where in brisbane is it located?

http://www.stateroads.com.au/

I used this place for an interstate buy. They sent me a report including an engine check which they marked, 'compression tested ok'

Highly recommend.
    EG

Member Array
    Car:
    '03 BB AP1
    Quote Originally Posted by manolii View Post
    Sounds like it did pick up those issues, where in brisbane is it located?
    Toowong. I had someone from s2ki take a quick look at it but he didn't get much time - just a brief test drive and says the body has few minor scuffs nothing serious but mechanically feels good. And it gets serviced at a place he goes to as well so has confidence in its maintenance. But of course i'd like to do a full proper inspection.

infurNOS: did they actually report the numbers back to you? I suspect they just did a 'Relative Compression Test' where I believe they just compare the numbers to a 'standard' and say its 'OK'. I'll look into them though have also heard of stateroads from others, thanks

Member Array
    Car:
    Ohthatsit
    Quote Originally Posted by infurNOS View Post

I used this place for an interstate buy. They sent me a report including an engine check which they marked, 'compression tested ok'

Highly recommend.
    x 2. these guys checked my car (requested by the buyer) when i was selling and i think they did a good job.
    GD3 -> EP3 -> RB3

FS Rays nuts etc

Member Array
    Car:
    Ek4_cxi_type_R
    Quote Originally Posted by infurNOS View Post

Highly recommend.
    x3, state roads are really detailed.

racv is just like a dumbed down RWC mechanic
    Last edited by joyride; Today at 07:26 AM. Reason: Ask for permission if you're going to use someone elses pic

Member Array
    Car:
    '03 BB AP1
    Thanks for the info guys. I called stateroads they said they do a 200+ point check which sounds pretty thorough.

Member Array
    Car:
    Ek4_cxi_type_R
    Thanks for the info guys. I called stateroads they said they do a 200+ point check which sounds pretty thorough.
    It costs a bit. But you really do get a piece of mind type of feeling when buying it.
    Last edited by joyride; Today at 07:26 AM. Reason: Ask for permission if you're going to use someone elses pic

Cost me $250. They go through your paint with a mico meter to see if it has been resprayed or patched up in any areas. Very handy if you suspect the car has been repaired for some reason.
    EG

Member Array
    Car:
    '03 BB AP1
    yeah the lady went through the whole checklist i almost fell asleep mid-way it was that long... but i did pick up many interesting things such as 'compression test' and 'mico meter' as you mentioned so stateroads seem to be the go.

she quoted me $279 however... but that is maybe because its on an s2k? Actually now i think about it... it shouldnt really make a difference should it lol