Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Newcomer Array
    Car:
    Accord Euro 04

[CL9] To anyone who has HIDs on their CL9

This might be just me but...

I installed HID's in my cl9 over the weekend and i've been loving them, but yesterday i was driving behind my mate who has an MR2 (which is extremely low) told my that my lights were pretty much blinding him.

Now i've never been in a car with stock HIDs so i cant compare the brightness.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20121013_205236-1.jpg 
Views:	765 
Size:	26.8 KB 
ID:	23174
    in this picture you can see that the HIDs can be seen on the building with is at least 100 meters away.

I will attach more images later if needed, but when you installed HIDs were they that bright? did you change the angle of the lights. (these are 6000k lights running off a 55W ballast)

Member Array
    Car:
    DC2
    These are projector headlights yes? did you readjust the headlights when you installed them? You need to adjust them, they are not plug-n-play as most are advertised due to the nature of the globe. Line the car up infront of a wall about 30 metres away, the top of the beam ideally should be level or just below the height of your headlights. Look for an adjustment point on the top of the headlight under the hood.

Member Array
    Car:
    CL9 Euro Luxury
    If you've installed an aftermarket HID kit in a stock halogen headlight housing, it will glare a lot since they're not designed to have HIDs. Essentially, it will scatter light everywhere and that's what causes all the glare. When you have 'projector headlights' which designed for HIDs as it gives a very sharp, even cut-off and also spreads the light evenly.

Take a picture of your headlight, front on, during the day and people will be able to tell you what your problem is.

If it's what I'm thinking, you've probably got the Accord Euro, not luxury, only the luxury models have factory fitted HIDs. So you will need to 'retrofit' the HIDs if that's the case for a proper, legal install.

Quote Originally Posted by wammies View Post
    So you will need to 'retrofit' the HIDs if that's the case for a proper, legal install.
    All aftermarket retrofits are illegal (most of them are the really dodgy buy ballast online and plug into headlight set up).

There's a few reasons as to why your HID's are glaring:

1. Not adjusted properly (as they do need an auto-adjusting systems for hills and when the ground isn't level)
    2. Halogen lens cut-off
    3. 55w - all manufacturer stock ones are 35w, be careful and check the heat of the 55w as they might melt your headlights.

Here's a copy of what I posted on another thread:

Quote Originally Posted by I CU2 View Post
    Halogen projectors aren't meant to be used with HID bulbs, their internal cutoff line is focused for halogens.

That's HID's in a halogen projector. Notice how the light is still focusing towards the middle and there is still scatter above the cutoff line (which is what causes glare towards oncoming traffic).

This is a HID designed projector:

Notice how sharp the cutoff is in comparison and that there's no upward flaring. The beam pattern has a nice consistency throughout and is not focused in the centre or any particular area.

Note: The cut-off of these pictures is slightly higher on the right, ours is reversed. So we'd have a higher section on the left in order to prevent oncoming glare and to light up the footpath - I'm not sure if that's what you meant by focusing to the left? but the light intensity should be consistent throughout.

Member Array
    Car:
    hondie 2000
    IMO it doesn't really matter, either way if you have that particular colour it's more penetrating than the warm white halogen colour.

So even if you had factory HIDs you'd still blind him (think chrysler 300c)
    S P A M | W O R K S
    hehe.
    PHC

Quote Originally Posted by curtis265 View Post
    So even if you had factory HIDs you'd still blind him (think chrysler 300c)
    Yep, I've seen other stock HID's which are quite glarey as well (mind you some of them have been other Euro's :P). In say that, what would matter but is if you were in a crash and the other driver claimed visibility issues from your car. Generally, insurance companies would try as hard as they can to get out from paying out for your/other persons car if you have any illegal mods which lead to the accident somewhat like non-ADR approved headlights = not roadworthy = no insurance.

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    Accord Euro 04
    Quote Originally Posted by wammies View Post
    If you've installed an aftermarket HID kit in a stock halogen headlight housing, it will glare a lot since they're not designed to have HIDs. Essentially, it will scatter light everywhere and that's what causes all the glare. When you have 'projector headlights' which designed for HIDs as it gives a very sharp, even cut-off and also spreads the light evenly.

Take a picture of your headlight, front on, during the day and people will be able to tell you what your problem is.

If it's what I'm thinking, you've probably got the Accord Euro, not luxury, only the luxury models have factory fitted HIDs. So you will need to 'retrofit' the HIDs if that's the case for a proper, legal install.
    Will do, i had a feeling i will need to do something to the headlights.

Quote Originally Posted by carab View Post
    These are projector headlights yes? did you readjust the headlights when you installed them? You need to adjust them, they are not plug-n-play as most are advertised due to the nature of the globe. Line the car up infront of a wall about 30 metres away, the top of the beam ideally should be level or just below the height of your headlights. Look for an adjustment point on the top of the headlight under the hood.
    Are there any instructions for this somewhere? I'll have to look at them this weekend when i have more time.

take them out please... i fukin hate kunts that blow their stupid ebay HIDs in my face. usually slam my brakes so they fuk off. piss me off to no end
    KEEP IT VIET | KEEP IT JDM
    FaLL iN LoVe WheN YoU aRe ReAdY, NoT WhEN YoU ARe LOnEly

Member Array
    Car:
    hondie 2000
    Quote Originally Posted by thezaza101 View Post
    Will do, i had a feeling i will need to do something to the headlights.

Are there any instructions for this somewhere? I'll have to look at them this weekend when i have more time.
    have a look in your manual. they'll point you to the little screw that you need to turn
    S P A M | W O R K S
    hehe.
    PHC

Member Array
    Car:
    DC2
    oh wow i didnt read the 55watt part... that's excessive and would only be needed for the outback where you need the extra power and can justify it. at very least switch to a 35watt globe, but by the time you angle them so far down that your not glaring them into oncoming cars, you will have better results with high quality halogens than the HID.

Spend the money and find some Luxury HID headlights and swap to those if you really want the HID's

Member Array
    Car:
    GTI /Tiguan/CU2
    again, non-ADR approved headlights = not roadworthy = no insurance. but, it's your car, your money, your choice, just be prepared and save up enough fund (a lot if they other party is a Merc) to pay the other party's claim.

i also heard a story of a car burnt down because of cheap quality ballasts going very wrong.

Member Array
    Car:
    06' euro
    I'm pretty sure all euros come with projector headlights(low beams).. however the non lux-model headlights don't come with the auto leveling system, which makes it illegal to install after-market HIDs
    >>