Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Newcomer Array
    Car:
    Accord Euro 04
    Quote Originally Posted by wammies View Post
    @theraza, you're going to have to swap out your halogen projectors to a HID projector. From the sounds of it, doesn't sound like you're going to want to play around with it too much and spend too much money, so do some research on the light output for the Phillips Crystal Vision or Blue Vision bulbs (from what I recall, some people weren't happy with it at all, especially for the price they're paying for them)..

From the looks of the pictures, seems like you've taken off your front bumper, and hence taking off your headlights would be a piece of cake. Changing the projectors wouldn't be too hard in my opinion. But it all comes down to what you want and how much money you're willing to spend.
    I would get HID projector housing but the thing is it would still be illigal.

What about something like this:
    http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/04-08-Acu...item23232f531c

I may save up to something like that but would they be enough to reduce glare, and i also have a suspicion that those are really low quality housings.

Quote Originally Posted by thezaza101 View Post
    Can't use LHD headlights on our roads I'm afraid. If you do, instead of lighting up the path in front of you and cutting off in the opposite lane instead you'll be blinding all the oncoming traffic and having little light for the road in front of you.

Member Array
    Car:
    hondie 2000
    Quote Originally Posted by thezaza101 View Post
    I would get HID projector housing but the thing is it would still be illigal.

What about something like this:
    http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/04-08-Acu...item23232f531c

I may save up to something like that but would they be enough to reduce glare, and i also have a suspicion that those are really low quality housings.
    you're saying it'll still be illegal.. and then suggest buying ebay stuff? which is also from the US?

serious though, changing the projectors is way cheaper than an entirely new housing

please take a pic of the current cutoff so we can see.
    S P A M | W O R K S
    hehe.
    PHC

Member Array
    Car:
    RB1 & GTR33V
    Quote Originally Posted by HunterZero View Post
    For HIDs to be ADR compliant, you also need auto levellers AND headlight washers.

- HZ
    Funny you mentioned this, NOT all cars with OEM HID came with auto levellers and headlight washers.

read my post here. http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthr...=1#post3516746

Most new cars nowadays come with the OEM Philips H11 globes - they are rated at 55W normal halogens.

I sell and am using the genuine Philips HID kit 6000k - 35W CANBUS slim ballast on my ODC (projectors with optional OEM HID kit) and they work like a charm. I DID have to adjust the levels after installing them never had anyone high beam me from oncoming or glaring from behind someone....

you never use a 55W hid ballast/kit for use with LOW beams, as they will appear too bright - (projected or not) for road use anyways.

**keep in mind that the RB1/2 OEM HID (from the Absolute JDM models) did not have auto washers but they did come with auto levellers.

to OP. - from the pictures of your HID beam levels they appear to be too high and too bright. change your ballast/globe to 35w and adjust your beam levels and you will be ok.

EDIT: i see alot of accord euros especially with HID kits that are so bright - 55w types and when theyre oncoming - it is annoying i flash them back with my Philips 5000k Diamond Vision High beams!. people think just install and driveaway...what they dont realise is that you have to adjust the levels to make levelled at the correct height.

to be on the safe side, your beam levels should be just below the top of the REAR bumber when your couple of metres behind a car.(cant recall the exact distance).
    Last edited by Rage King; 19-10-2012 at 02:40 PM.
    RB1-ODC

Quote Originally Posted by Rage King View Post
    Funny you mentioned this, NOT all cars with OEM HID came with auto levellers and headlight washers.
    They actually do as it is an ADR requirement for washers and an auto-leveling system to be fitted onto all Australian delivered vehicles with HID's in order to meet import regulations, it's just that the Germans conceal their washers better. They are integrated into the bumper for a straight flush look instead of poking out and covered as is the norm for Japanese cars.

The examples you gave:

Audi A4:

Notice under the headlight there is a cut-out in the bumper, similar to the towing hole next to it. The washer is concealed under there, it's on both side of the headlights and the washers will pop out to wash the headlights if needed.

Mercedes C200K:

Washers can clearly be seen under the headlights.

Mazda 3 MPS:

Washers can clearly be seen under the headlights.

NOTE: The Germans will only fit HID's onto their high end compact-executive series cars. The C200k Avantgarde and A4 Quattro have HID's as stock, the base models (which would be the most common models you see on the road) do not have a HID set-up and consequently will not have a washer/auto levelling system.
    Last edited by I CU2; 19-10-2012 at 04:28 PM.

Member Array
    Car:
    RB1 & GTR33V
    ^^..

thanks dude,

i know they are a must to ADR compliancing etc etc..

even from those pics... the washers are blocked with a cover...

EDIT:
    The washer is concealed under there, it's on both side of the headlights and the washers will pop out to wash the headlights if needed
    so who pops them back in? there are no mechanical part that auto pops in/out these covers behind the bumpers. They are there for EUDM and very rare ive seen an actuall washer on these covers. weird huh...??

ive seen these in person and most people have as well... look closely and u will see no washer etc - on some cars only.

regards,

RK
    Last edited by Rage King; 19-10-2012 at 03:01 PM.
    RB1-ODC

ive seen these in person and most people have as well... look closely and u will see no washer etc - on some cars only.
    No problem, the cars that you don't see washers on are the base-mid grade model C200 Kompressors/Audi A4 Multitronics as they do not come with HID's. If they do, then they are user installed. The Luxury Marquees like to reserve the use of HID headlights for upper models within the C/3/IS/A4 class in order to differentiate them from the basic ones (yes, Lexus included - HID's standard on only the $80k IS250 Sports Luxury).

C200k Classic/Elegance: No HID's stock = No washers/auto levelling system.

A4 Multitronic: No HID's stock = Washers and auto-leveller not necessary.

so who pops them back in? there are no mechanical part that auto pops in/out these covers behind the bumpers.
    I assume they're pressure based? All headlight washers are automatic (including your everyday Hyundai's with stock HID's):

Here's a video of them working: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Kjwu6IdqP8&t=0m46s

(Notice how well Skoda is able to hide the washers, nevertheless they are still there.)
    Last edited by I CU2; 19-10-2012 at 03:12 PM.

Member Array
    Car:
    hondie 2000
    Good info here guys
    S P A M | W O R K S
    hehe.
    PHC

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    Accord Euro 04
    Quote Originally Posted by curtis265 View Post
    you're saying it'll still be illegal.. and then suggest buying ebay stuff? which is also from the US?

serious though, changing the projectors is way cheaper than an entirely new housing

please take a pic of the current cutoff so we can see.
    Should change the thread title to 'Aftermarket HID's legality' lol, learning a lot from this thread. i was gonna post some pictures but went home from work sick and instead of pressing download i pressed delete on my phone's photos (thats how much my mind is working right now :/).

Member Array
    Car:
    RB1 & GTR33V
    i like how that skoda auto washes ... the only purpose of these auto washers are to cool the headlight covers to minimize heat exposure caused by the HID globe temps.

good info here guys
    RB1-ODC

Member Array
    Car:
    GTI /Tiguan/CU2
    incorrect, proper HID bulbs run much cooler than halogen bulbs. they use energy more efficiently while halogen bulbs loose a lot of energy in heat.

i tested my cu2 luxury headlights with some snow foam while washing the car after sunset and the beam just scattered everywhere. the same would apply if you get enough dirt / snow / mud on your hid headlights, hence the washers are required to cleanse them.

Member Array
    Car:
    RB1 & GTR33V
    Quote Originally Posted by natnat View Post
    incorrect, proper HID bulbs run much cooler than halogen bulbs. they use energy more efficiently while halogen bulbs loose a lot of energy in heat.

i tested my cu2 luxury headlights with some snow foam while washing the car after sunset and the beam just scattered everywhere. the same would apply if you get enough dirt / snow / mud on your hid headlights, hence the washers are required to cleanse them.
    Theory is right, but the physical examination speaks for itself.

turn on your HID's for 30mins .. then touch your headlight covers..... feel if its hot or cool....

The halogens H11 originally that was fitted, the headlight covers did not get as hot as the HID bulbs which i can actually place my hand on the covers without getting burnt... but for HID's it was hotter
    RB1-ODC