Member Array
    Car:
    Integra

Gearbox Knocking :(

hey guys/girls when i woke up today and started my integra, i heard a weird knocking coming from the engine bay that i've never heard before, i lifted up the bonnet and a knocking sound was coming from the gearbox. I got back into the car and pushed the clutch in, the knocking stopped when the clutch is engaged. Anyone know what this problem could be? i drove it today and it was fine but nothing wrong with changing the gears or anything, but when left in neutral the knocking is back :S i added a video to help

http://s231.photobucket.com/albums/e...t=IMG_2560.mp4

sounds like through out bearing
    EG

More likely the input shaft bearing - the carrier has failed/broken and you have the balls of the bearing spinning around as the input shaft ever slightly wobbles.
    One way or another box must be dropped and opened up to be inspected
    Replace the release bearing and maybe clutch kit at the same time if they show signs of wear

Green block gangster Array
    Car:
    twin GX160's
    as above

the thrust bearing is not driven with the clutch pedal depressed

Member Array
    Car:
    Integra
    is this a major problem? and do you know roughly how much it costs to fix? thanks for the information guys ^^

Quote Originally Posted by kans View Post
    is this a major problem? and do you know roughly how much it costs to fix? thanks for the information guys ^^
    it IS a major problem - your gearbox is filling with metal debris and the input shaft is becoming out of balance , possibly damaging other parts internal.

I would think about $6-700 at a workshop to fix it.

Member Array
    Car:
    Integra
    thanks so much for the info ~ will take it to a workshop on monday