Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Moderator Array
    Car:
    '90 EF8/'94 EH9
    How did you run in the motor?

Sounds like maybe valve stem seals or piston compression rings to me. As above, get a leak down test.

Did your engine builder provide a warranty?

Member Array
    Car:
    DC2 Squared
    40º ignition advance on that static compression ratio, lolz

Do a leak down test dude.

You can go to another shop but I guarantee you they will milk a rebuild out of you, but by the sounds of things it needs something to be redone anyway. (i'm still curious how he managed to get it to swallow 40º ignition on PULP)

Member Array
    Car:
    EK
    Given how useful this shop sounds, your comp issue might be as simple as valve clearances on that cylinder or the head shop havnt done the seats well, and I bet the cam timing is no where, as nearly no one in Sydney can time cams properly, its a fact. Another issue may be the piston to bore and honing performed and the rings havnt seated, either way, if I were looking at it, id want it all apart to see wtf was going on and make sure it went back together right.

The combo of parts is also out, its all good and well saying ill throw this and this together and it should make power, but does not work that way. 45mm itbs in a 2ltr will always fall flat up top, ive mucked around with this a lot on my 2ltr build which has evolved over the years with me still looking to tweak the set-up further beyond its current 170kw.

If you need the engine looked at or interested in a proven 2ltr engine, let me know.

Member Array
    Car:
    DC2 Squared
    ^ This.

Considering the timing is @ 40º it is not surprising if the cam timing were out... I'm actually surprised he kept throwing timing past the 30 mark without wondering why..

Member Array
    Car:
    EK
    He would have thought what have i got to lose ; )

Member Array
    Car:
    DC2R
    Quote Originally Posted by Sideburns1 View Post
    OK so i built a high comp b18c that is bored out to a 2 litre this is the specs
    b18c sleeved and bored to 85mm
    forged 85mm 12.5:1 comp cp pistons
    carrilo rods
    balanced crank etc
    ported and polished ITR head
    skunk 2 pro 3 cams
    45mm ITBs
    fluidampr race
    moroso kickout sump
    AEM adjustable cam gears
    skunk 2 pro valve train
    Apexi power fc comp

currently the motor has been run in and has been tuned by Race Solutions in penrith but is only pulling 128 kws and is taking upto 40 degrees ignition timing and doesnt ping even on standard pump fuel it has been compression tested and pulls from 245 psi to 195 psi through the cylinders...I just wanted some ideas of where to look at next cause Race solutions is out of ideas and im not wasting anymore money with them

Any ideas would be good thanks
    Ive always been told that 10% should be max difference between compression. But thats on a old motor 5% max on newly buil. So the lowest should be minimim 230

also ITBS wont help if the tunes a retard! My dc2r made that with bolt on and tune!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Member Array
    Car:
    DA9 Integra
    Quote Originally Posted by curtis265 View Post
    195-245 means you have serious piston seal problems...

leakdown test time.

and find a new builder.
    I agree with Curtis, time to cut your losses with this mob as it seems like a basic engine build gone wrong, no excuses poor engineering skills at fault.
    At the very least they should be fixing it at no cost !!

Member Array
    Car:
    AccordCB7 Turbo
    Quote Originally Posted by gbpracing View Post
    I agree with Curtis, time to cut your losses with this mob as it seems like a basic engine build gone wrong, no excuses poor engineering skills at fault.
    At the very least they should be fixing it at no cost !!
    From how he worded his OP, i thought that 'HE' build the Motor.. And this shop were merely dyno tuning it?
    It's not 4x4 status, think of it as "Winter Mode".

Member Array
    Car:
    95 DC2, 93 EG VTI
    look at Toys Garage for tuning, hes very thorough and very good. I got my car tuned there after the rebuild and he went through the entire tune with me when i picked the car up. definately do a leakdown test and find out where your compression is going dude, my c2 made 132kw and 330nm of torque after the rebuild with 12.5:1 comp and blox b cams (slightly bigger than type r) which are soon to be swapped out for toda c2 cams. Like the other guys said, im very curious to know how that motor took 40 degrees of timing especially at that cr

p.s that was also on a run in tune with 2.25inch push bent exhaust and standard cat
    We dont live, if we dont feel alive .

Member Array
    Car:
    EG Civic
    Just to let you know so that you get an idea, my 13:1 2.1l b18c compression tests at well over 300psi dry, that's the highest my tester goes and it hits the max in just 2 or so rotations. The engine wasn't even super hot either. Prob piston rings but shouldn't be that bad with that much difference, u sure it's not ur head gasket? Losing water?
    = First Production Company To Produce 100HP Per Litre NA

Member Array
    Car:
    Civic 97
    with psi like that, being a new motor it needs a strip down to find the issue there is somthing sinister going on there, call around find a builder / tuner that your comfortable with we use JEM in sydney they built my brothers 13+ comp ratio B18 years of experience and honest
    WOULD YOU LIKE SOME FRONT BAR WITH YOUR FRONT MOUNT