Member Array
    Car:
    Garbage Truck

Speakers making crackling noise? Looking for a cheap audio repair shop in Sydney.

Hey all,

My EM1 came with a nice set of Kenwood speakers in the rear, however when I go over bumps and am listening to music the rear left speaker makes a crackling noise. Also for some unfathomable reason there are 3 amplifiers in the car, which all seem to be connected.

I imagine it's just a loose connection somewhere but I am inexperienced with audio set ups and don't have the time to fiddle around with wires to fix it up.

Are there any places in Sydney that could look over the wiring, fix it and remove the extra amps for a decent price?

Hey champ, just pull the speakers out and check the connections, quite easy

Member Array
    Car:
    Pimpin rover
    I would say it will be around the amp wiring

Poor power connection or ground connection

I don't think the wires connecting to the speakers would cause the crackle

Member Array
    Car:
    Garbage Truck
    Quote Originally Posted by CRXDEL501 View Post
    I would say it will be around the amp wiring

Poor power connection or ground connection

I don't think the wires connecting to the speakers would cause the crackle
    It seems to only be one speaker crackling too, so the poor amp connection would make sense.

Do you know any shops that could look at this for me?

Member Array
    Car:
    Pimpin rover
    I don't know places personally on Sydney

But just check them yourself

It's just checking they are contacting with the amp well enough and the screws or whatever holding the wires in are tight enough

Member Array
    Car:
    lownslowsedan
    Do you want good service, cheap service or fast service?

Pick 2 options, because you cant have all 3.

You could just find an Autobarn that does installs, and get them to have a look at it, thatd probably be the best way to do it.
    to see all of my build, checkout

Member Array
    Car:
    porsche boxster
    lol @ autobarnz audio dept.

Mate, just ask a friend who is confident in car audio as what youre asking is a pretty basic troubleshoot

Member Array
    Car:
    Garbage Truck
    Quote Originally Posted by trism View Post
    Do you want good service, cheap service or fast service?

Pick 2 options, because you cant have all 3.

You could just find an Autobarn that does installs, and get them to have a look at it, thatd probably be the best way to do it.
    Good and cheap! Easy, I've got a work ute that I drive every day; the civic is my weekender. I don't really have many friends into cars or audio systems for that matter, hence why I'm asking on here.

I've looked at the connections myself and none seem to be loose, however there are 3 amplifiers (god knows why) so there's obviously a lot of wiring that I'm missing as it's hidden under carpet and such.

Member Array
    Car:
    K20 nugget
    If you have 20 minutes to spare, it is very easy to find out why you have 3 amps. Have your audio system playing and one at a time, unplug each amplifier. Whatever turns off, the amps are powering it. If nothing turns off, it is safe to assume you can remove it (as the previous owner may have had a nice sub or speakers they wanted to keep, however didn't bother taking the amp).

As with the connections, just have your system playing and give all the connections a nice tug. If it makes a sound, there is your problem. Tighten and you are good to go.

Like everyone has said, this is a very simple issue and I would not bother paying someone to take a look at it. In the time it takes for you to take it to the workshop + waiting etc you could have fixed it yourself for free. If you are not confident in doing so, I would highly recommend you read some DIY guides and see if that helps because once you understand, it is easy for you to work backwards and diagnose the problem.

e.g. From this site you can find actual instructions on how to install whole sound systems, vehicle specific head units, etc : http://www.partsgeek.com/parts/the_u...o_systems.html

Member Array
    Car:
    Jazz GD3
    If any of the wire that is not insulated touches the speaker chassis frame will cause a crackle.
    So check if any wires are rubbing on the frame.

Member Array
    Car:
    '77 Civic
    Good and cheap are two words that don't come hand in hand in the car audio industry... This is something you'll learn.

As for what it could be, check your amplifier connections (the speaker wire into the amp) check the speaker connections, check the wires, check the rca's. Last time my speakers made crackling noises, the speaker wire had fallen off the speaker... Which is why twist 'n' tape is a big no-no.
    To be specific: Whilst the music is running, move the rca's a tad, see if that causes the crackle, if not, move on. Move the speaker wires on the amp end, if that doesn't cause it, move to speaker end. It wouldn't be power related I don't think. sounds signal related.

As for 3 amps, I'm guessing you've either got two running front speakers, and one running a sub? Else one running fronts, one running rears, one running subs. OR, one per each front speaker, and one running both rears?

Member Array
    Car:
    '77 Civic
    Good and cheap are two words that don't come hand in hand in the car audio industry... This is something you'll learn.

As for what it could be, check your amplifier connections (the speaker wire into the amp) check the speaker connections, check the wires, check the rca's. Last time my speakers made crackling noises, the speaker wire had fallen off the speaker... Which is why twist 'n' tape is a big no-no.
    To be specific: Whilst the music is running, move the rca's a tad, see if that causes the crackle, if not, move on. Move the speaker wires on the amp end, if that doesn't cause it, move to speaker end. It wouldn't be power related I don't think. sounds signal related.

As for 3 amps, I'm guessing you've either got two running front speakers, and one running a sub? Else one running fronts, one running rears, one running subs. OR, one per each front speaker, and one running both rears?