Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Towing car?

Member Array
    Car:
    Civic EJ8

Towing car?

Anyone had experience with towing cars on a trailer?

planning on towing my car to workshop in months time, an dont wanna call tow truckie as i know they charge me an arm n leg to get where i wanna go...

basically i need the low downs on how to strap the car down properly and securely, as ive personally seen cars fly off a trailer because, scary stuff lol

cheers
    I <3 BOOST! D16+T SOHC

Member Array
    Car:
    hondie 2000
    I've seen wheels and tow points strapped down, that's probably all you need.

You'd also need a trailer designed to carry the/a vehicle so it'll have the appropriate anchor points
    S P A M | W O R K S
    hehe.
    PHC

Member Array
    Car:
    your mum
    pull the car as forward as you can on the trailer.
    try to have the front of the car fcing forward because more weight on the front of the car, and you want all the weight in the centre of the (car+trailer), otherwise you will fish-tail. (happened to me)

also if you do get into fish-tailing, do not counter it or brake hard, just slowly accelerate or slow down, and dont counter steer it.

in regards to locking the car on the trailer, leave the car in gear and handbrake, leave the anchor on and tie the wheels to the trailer.
    Quote Originally Posted by mugen_ctr View Post
    Anyone had experience with towing cars on a trailer?

planning on towing my car to workshop in months time, an dont wanna call tow truckie as i know they charge me an arm n leg to get where i wanna go...

basically i need the low downs on how to strap the car down properly and securely, as ive personally seen cars fly off a trailer because, scary stuff lol

cheers

Member Array
    Car:
    ES1 Turbo, EK1
    i use 3 straps and tie the car down from the wheels and keep the winch in the OEM tow hook for extra safety.
    Car: 05' Civic Turbo Car: EK 97'
    Motor - D17 Motor - B20T
    Winton - 1:47 Winton - 1:46
    7th Gen Melbourne #1

Member Array
    Car:
    Civic EJ8
    cheers guys, once i get the trailer ill look into it more in depth
    I <3 BOOST! D16+T SOHC

Moderator Array
    Car:
    '90 EF8/'94 EH9
    Just strap the tyres down and keep the handbrake on.

Make sure it's strapped to prevent the car hopping both forwards and backwards. I've made a booboo before. Only strapped the car to prevent in going backwards. Had to slam on the brakes later and the car came flying forwards and ended up half sitting on the tow bar pretty much. Just missed the boot lol. Sucked big time, lesson learned.

Member Array
    Car:
    Civic EJ8
    Quote Originally Posted by dougie_504 View Post

Make sure it's strapped to prevent the car hopping both forwards and backwards. I've made a booboo before. Only strapped the car to prevent in going backwards. Had to slam on the brakes later and the car came flying forwards and ended up half sitting on the tow bar pretty much. Just missed the boot lol. Sucked big time, lesson learned.
    very close call lol, but good tip
    I <3 BOOST! D16+T SOHC

Member Array
    Car:
    lownslowsedan
    Dont strap it down via the body, like tow hooks etc etc

You want to strap it down via the wheels/lower suspension arms.

By doing this the body of the car will still move around, ie bounce with bumps etc, and itll stop the car creeping around on the trailer.

Use either 4 short straps, one on each wheel, or 2 long ones, for front and back.
    to see all of my build, checkout

Member Array
    Car:
    your mum
    Quote Originally Posted by trism View Post
    Dont strap it down via the body, like tow hooks etc etc

You want to strap it down via the wheels/lower suspension arms.

By doing this the body of the car will still move around, ie bounce with bumps etc, and itll stop the car creeping around on the trailer.

Use either 4 short straps, one on each wheel, or 2 long ones, for front and back.
    good point!

Member Array
    Car:
    your mum
    Quote Originally Posted by dougie_504 View Post

u didnt have handbrake on and leave in gear?

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    '11 Euro CU2
    Man the amount of money you spent on hiring a trailer (assuming you are hiring) can sometime cost more then a private tow truck :/ don't go for those massive franchised tow truck companies.

You live in Melbourne there's a shit lot of private personal towing guys, just away.

Member Array
    Car:
    Civic EJ8
    very useful advice guys thanks... ive read bits here an there, an it seems strapping it down to the tire is the only way to go

an yes there are many private towers around here, but when u needa tow more than 50kms away, im looking at 200 minimum for one way, an if the car decides to let go at the tuner, (i hope not LOL), with a trailer at-least than i can still tow it back home
    I <3 BOOST! D16+T SOHC