Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Exclamation Brake Softens Once In A While**

hello all of you mates in this forum. how are you goin. hows things?

mates i got a big problem with my brakes and i experienced this one quite often now and im very concerned about this coz its affecting my road safety.

you see, everytime i drive 90kph or higher, say in the freeway or normal road, everytime i apply the brakes, quite often than not, i experience this softening of my brakes everytime i stepped on the pedal.

the feeling is so strange and scary coz it's like, stepping on the pedal with no brakes at all. there's no resistance, there's no friction. as if there's no contact. and then, in order for my brakes to hold, i still need to step on it for the 2nd time and then as a result of that, the brakes become effective again.

it is so strange and not very safe at all. the brake problem makes my civic unreliable and dangerous now.

i want to consult a mechanic on my dayoff but before that, can anyone please tell me the specific name/description of this kind of car problem?
    has anyone of you here experience the same problem as what i have experienced?
    What might be the problem of my brake system? -specific part-.

Please tell me what you think mates. I'll appreciate all your inputs and replies.
    Thanks mates.
    Last edited by zapantalambda; 30-10-2012 at 05:46 PM. Reason: .

Member Array
    Car:
    DC2R, S15
    Sounds like u need to bleed your brake oil

Or you can

Replace ur brake oil with new oil if u want
    snapping 2nd..

Member Array
    Car:
    K20 nugget
    Yes, try bleeding your brakes. But definitely take it to a mechanic as soon as you can. If it was me I would not drive it until I either take it to a mechanic or fix it myself.

@dc2r-0636, @androo

i already serviced my civic at MIDAS last week.
    i felt the difference on my brakes for a day but after that, i experienced the same braking problem again.
    they changed the brake fluid as well.

Member Array
    Car:
    4WD 89 Concerto
    how much kms on your car? Could be a leaky master cylinder..
    OEM parts whore

Quote Originally Posted by grifty View Post
    how much kms on your car? Could be a leaky master cylinder..
    230,000+.

Member Array
    Car:
    DC2R, S15
    Yeh most likely a leaking bmc if its feeling that way again
    snapping 2nd..

Member Array
    Car:
    4WD 89 Concerto
    Quote Originally Posted by zapantalambda View Post
    230,000+.
    sounds like your master cylinder is on its way out especially with thay many kms, you should be able to find a brand new aftermarket unit for a decent price.
    OEM parts whore

Member Array
    Car:
    your mum
    happened to me before.
    exactly same. there is a leak in your system, brake master cylinder or the prop. valve located on your firewall, there are the common place for leak.

have a look and see if there is oil on your firewall, should be in the centre.

Quote Originally Posted by connorling View Post
    happened to me before.
    exactly same. there is a leak in your system, brake master cylinder or the prop. valve located on your firewall, there are the common place for leak.

have a look and see if there is oil on your firewall, should be in the centre.
    thanks for your idea mate. at least now i can tell the mechanic the possible areas of concern for my civic.

Member Array
    Car:
    your mum
    Quote Originally Posted by zapantalambda View Post
    thanks for your idea mate. at least now i can tell the mechanic the possible areas of concern for my civic.
    good luck, because back then when this happened to me, i took it to the shop, they said i have to replace front rotor, front brake pads, rear drum brake shoes and cylinders.......
    after $800 and still didnt solve the problem, took it to my friend, he straight away tell me the prop valve is leaking. fixed that and no more spongy paddle.

since then, i dont trust what mechanic said from big shops like Auto Master, etc.