Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast
    Dude, the flipside of not enough oil is your engine going bust How do K24's tolerate low oil situations?

I've been using Honda 5w-40 full synth for a while now and it hasn't made much difference in fuel consumption. I get 7 l/100 km or high 6's on a steady cruise on the highway, especially with the cruise control turned on, on an auto CU2.

Everything goes to hell in city traffic though. I've tried letting the car shift or using the paddle shift, no luck, I see 10 l/100km or more. Creeping traffic and long idles just kill the fuel economy of this engine. Honda should've stuffed a big battery or capacitor like the Mazda6 ELOOP system and start/stop to improve fuel consumption.

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    09 Accord Euro
    Could'nt give you a number of k's based on a full tank but I consistantly achieve 8.3 to 8.4 average fuel per 100 k's.

Member Array
    Car:
    '06 Euro Std 5A
    Like others my city economy is on par with a big 6 or even a V8 when I'm getting impatient

However, I did a country run the other day, got about ~7L/100km. Drive averaged 120km/h for 500kms and 25kms of shitty roadworks. So not bad at all, plus the back roads are great for exercising the precious.
    '06 Accord Euro Std
    Stock standard =|

Member Array
    Car:
    '03 Euro [CL9]
    Quote Originally Posted by redseven View Post
    Dude, the flipside of not enough oil is your engine going bust How do K24's tolerate low oil situations?

I've been using Honda 5w-40 full synth for a while now and it hasn't made much difference in fuel consumption. I get 7 l/100 km or high 6's on a steady cruise on the highway, especially with the cruise control turned on, on an auto CU2.

Everything goes to hell in city traffic though. I've tried letting the car shift or using the paddle shift, no luck, I see 10 l/100km or more. Creeping traffic and long idles just kill the fuel economy of this engine. Honda should've stuffed a big battery or capacitor like the Mazda6 ELOOP system and start/stop to improve fuel consumption.
    maybe the Chinese cars are tuned to it?

When I switched over from Castrol GTX 10w-40 to a thinner full synthetic Mobil 1 5w-30 theres was an improvement on consumption, and then I switch to Mobil 1 0w-40 and fuel economy went down a little bit.

Now the difference was enough to be noticed but not enough to be worrying. But I guess the thickness of the oil matters.
    Last edited by Fredoops; 26-11-2012 at 10:56 PM.
    2003 CL9 5AT *ECU REFLASHED*
    CT-E Icebox|Ralco RZ pulleys|K&N filter|DC Header|250cell Cat|Cusco Tower & H Brace| H.Drive Coilovers | Rays RE30 18x8.5 | S/S Brakelines | Rigid Collars

580km for 55L on v power

Moderator Array
    Car:
    '90 EF8/'94 EH9
    EH9 with D16Y1.

Used a tank of BP98 for a change since I normally use 91.

529.35km from 36.25L = 6.85L/100km.

Normally get 450km+ from high 30's to 40L of 91.

Very happy

Member Array
    Car:
    Euro
    not sure if this is expected. 65L....450km's pure city driving. Have coils 18" wheels intake pulleys....all of which "technically" help in reducing fuel consumption except the wheels.
    06 Lux Auto Arctic Blue

Travelling 70% freeway, 30% local, averaging 7.5 l/100 km on Shell95.
    CU2 Auto. Keeping the revs low, I have to admit.

Member Array
    Car:
    CU2
    inb4 why shell 95 and not 98, but then some will say its doesnt matter, then some will argue that it is a waste of money for euro. then in return the engine isnt turned for it.. then...
    what gets wet ...while its drying?

Member Array
    Car:
    07 Accord Euro Luxury 6MT
    Quote Originally Posted by MR_LATE View Post
    inb4 why shell 95 and not 98, but then some will say its doesnt matter, then some will argue that it is a waste of money for euro. then in return the engine isnt turned for it.. then...
    Euro definitely benefits from 98 RON due to its slightly higher energy density, and lower chance of pinging. The Euro has knock and O2 sensors that alter the tune of the engine enough to make a small difference. The car will run smoother and should give slightly better economy on 98, but because of the price difference between 95 and 98, 95 will still offer lower cost per km.

- HZ

Not sure that's entirely correct, Hunter. After quite extensive testing (over 3 months period) I found my car used 7.5 l/100 km of VPower vs 7.4 L of Shell 95. Not sure why, but in both cases displayed consumption was 0.4 l lower than the real one, which is a bit annoying.

Member Array
    Car:
    07 Accord Euro Luxury 6MT
    It's theoretically correct. YMMV.

Try BP Ultimate or Caltex Vortex 98. There are slight differences between the fuels in terms of additives, sulfur content, detergents etc. I used to use Shell Optimax in my old Accord, but when they changed to V-Power, my economy seemed to suffer, so I don't use Shell anymore. I use BP Ultimate exclusively in my CL9, it seems to be a very clean burning fuel if my spotless exhaust tips are anything to go by.

- HZ