Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    datsun 200b

B16b ignition timing help!

G'day guys

Last few months, I've been working on the ek9, restoring most components in the engine bay and fuel system.

Now the part where I get confused is,

Ill go and set my ignition timing with a gun to the recommended specifications of 16 degrees

When I take it for a drive, hesitates on acceleration and lags very bad with air conditioner on( basically struggles of the line)

So the car itself hit over 100 thousand and I did a major service, did the timin belt, all belts, new distributor, new plugs etc etc, only thing I haven't changed is the leads ( ngk blues and works fine I think)

When it was at 16 I would get hesitation and that tinny pinging noise ( like rice on foil noise) so I upped the timin to around 17-18degrees now and it does it slightly

What I want to know is why is it still making that noise under light load? (3-4k rpm?)

Also my old dizzy was making this ticking noise from under the cap, thought DIZZY was dead so I replaced it, still makes that ticking noise only when cold, when cold also takes about 10-15 seconds to start

If someone can help, it'll be great! Might have done it wrong, or maybe something is dead

Kenny
    VTEC+Turbo=dirty underpants

Did u set timing with CEL plug shorted

Member Array
    Car:
    datsun 200b
    Yeh I did, there are 2 plugs near the heater fan correct? Holding the 2 plugs are a fake rubber mount

I jumped the 2 wire one which makes my abs and engine light blink if that's correct

Member Array
    Car:
    porsche boxster
    What petrol you using? It will ping on 95/91

Member Array
    Car:
    datsun 200b
    ive been using 98 octane its whole life, never changed to anything lower.. this has really rattled my brain!

Member Array
    Car:
    EK1 CXI
    is the timing belt on correct, maybe its out a tooth and its causing u issues

Member Array
    Car:
    DC2 Squared
    Sounds like the engine is out of timing mate.

It won't ping on +2º overall trim, unless you've done something severely wrong setting the timing.

Does the car idle OK, how is the idle when hot/does it overheat?

Member Array
    Car:
    datsun 200b
    car runs fine, idles perfectly,no abnormal activity

its just when i'm driving in 3-4-5th gear at low rpm, and i decide to give it abit more gas then usual the sound comes into play

it's weird, i can really figure out what it is..

i havent checked the mechanical timing yet, maybe that could be the culprit,

when i start it in the morning, it takes a while to start, say 5 seconds.

when its warm, it just starts when i turn the key instead of holding it in the morning..

also the distributor is making this clicking noise, sounds like it's arcing or something, brand new dizzy aswell

even my b20b crv does it too!

Member Array
    Car:
    GOLDWING FTW
    simple check for mechanical timing
    connect a vacuum gauge and make sure it is -20 at idle your feul pump could be on its way draining back to the tank hence hard starts and lack of fuel hence pinging
    dodgy engine james middle_name_james naughty_james noise thak_thak vibration
    View Tag Cloud

Member Array
    Car:
    datsun 200b
    yeh i was chatting to a friend last night aswell, cause thats the only thing i havent touched, still primes well and when warm its fine, only when its cold.

Member Array
    Car:
    GOLDWING FTW
    check the flow rate as it might have the pressure but not the flow at higher rpm
    dodgy engine james middle_name_james naughty_james noise thak_thak vibration
    View Tag Cloud

Member Array
    Car:
    datsun 200b
    think i've pin pointed my problem

it was the timing belt changed by some asian fob

completely off (well, its off, not HEAPS, but off)

pictures shown

tell me if the cam gears are sitting the right way also please

(explains why i'm having trouble starting it up in the morning)