Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    dc2 vtir

Boosted b18c.... Clutch discussion

Hey guys,

In the final prep stages of boosting my integra and have come to a fork in the road... So I would see what everybody runs and how it all holds up and go from there...

Simple turbo set up, t3/t4, all the bits and pieces... 7psi will be run.

I am wondering what clutches people are running... I am stuck between the heavy duty exedy, and the stage 1 exedy... Looked around and havnt found much in the way of a torque comparison but if anybody knows the difference in specs?

And if any has used then and had bad experiences let me know... The last thing I need is to rip out the gear of after a few thousand K's because the clutch is dead....

Member Array
    Car:
    Kermit K20A
    I would recommend an Exedy Sports Ceramic clutch. Good for 300kw and more torque thab a boosted Honda will ever produce
    Kermit EGK20A
    Winton: 1:35.08
    Wakefield: 1:08.8

Ozhonda Supporter Array
    Car:
    MV Agusta F4
    Webby. What sort of grunt are you expecting out of it? Is it going to be street car? Is it a daily drive?
    Deano.

Member Array
    Car:
    dc2 vtir
    Im looking for 200hp but down the track will want to push boost up to 9psi.... so what ever that will get around... I would say that If I got 220hp I would be more then happy... I have another mode of transport so it won't be a weekend only car, but won't be a pure daily....

Member Array
    Car:
    AccordCB7 Turbo
    Quote Originally Posted by stndrd View Post
    Good for 300kw and more torque thab a boosted Honda will ever produce
    I wouldn't be so sure about that.. Lol.

Anyways,
    I have an 'ACT 2MS Sprung Clutch' in mine, and it seems fairly reliable.. Supposedly good for 500WHP.
    Pedal feel is pretty solid, but it's not rediculous.. And even in traffic, my knee doesn't get sore.
    So far it hasn't slipped at ~400WHP, so i think it's worth the $400.
    It's not 4x4 status, think of it as "Winter Mode".

Ozhonda Supporter Array
    Car:
    MV Agusta F4
    Whats the engagement like on your ACT Jccck? Does it engage smoothly or shudder a little? Is it a full face or puk? Organic, ceramic?
    Deano.

Member Array
    Car:
    dc2 vtir
    Some details would be good, as DL001 stated... A good comparison between clutches would be nice.... anybody running exedy??

Member Array
    Car:
    porsche boxster
    The exedy heavy duty is only a standard disc but with higher clamp rate,for boost you want something stronger with an uprated disc as well

Since its not gonna be daily I'd suggest a brass button as they hold even with repeated abuse and theyre not too expensive

that way you get the increased clamping pressure and a stronger disc pad material

Ozhonda Supporter Array
    Car:
    MV Agusta F4
    I agree (would rep you EKvtir-T but need to spread rep more). I would not go with the Exedy either, its not going to hold with a boosted honda. Had a Exedy Ceramic initially in my Teg and it slipped like a biach. Torque load figures blah blah are just that, just figures. Make sure you well over rate your clutch for your application. Just about any clutch will hold any power when fully engaged as one piece in unison. The problem is though when your shifting, disengaging, change gear then engaging again. That initial engagement again is the part where it will bite > engage, or fail and slip all they way to, well just all the way, lol.
    Deano.

Member Array
    Car:
    dc2 vtir
    Good points there... On DLO01, what did you end up running clutch wise?

Will have a look around at some button clutches. On this topic as well, was going to pair up with a lightweight flywheel. Had one on my NA motor and loved the difference it made. Anybody on here running lightweight flywheels with their setups? Have read plenty of people from both sides of the discussion saying worth it, not worth it blah blah blah....

As its not a pure daily, the extra 'challenge' of a lightweight flywheel and clutch won't bother me so thats all good on this side....

Member Array
    Car:
    AccordCB7 Turbo
    Quote Originally Posted by DLO01 View Post
    Whats the engagement like on your ACT Jccck? Does it engage smoothly or shudder a little? Is it a full face or puk? Organic, ceramic?
    It has a slight shudder from slow-takeoff standing start, which is easy enough to avoid.
    (Note that i have a half-weight Aluminium Flywheel too)
    It's a 6-Puck, and this is the description if it helps.

"a dual or "single thick" diaphragm heavy duty pressure plate, 6 puck miba friction pads"
    It's not 4x4 status, think of it as "Winter Mode".

Member Array
    Car:
    Jazz EVO IX
    my exedy sports organic only lasted 15,000kms, and started slipping.
    I didn't launch very often even. I was also told it would hold that type of power.

I ended up going the exedy 3 puck ceramic, worked a charm.
    Otherwise consider a twin plate.
    It gets expensive ripping them out all the time

This was only with 172kw ATW on a dc2 LSD box

The ceramic wasn't bad to drive(will take you a week to get use to it), softer than my current organic on the Evo.
    Funny thing is the organic on the Evo can take 300kwata without issue.
    Evo IX - THE FINAL EVOLUTION