Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345
    Member Array
    Car:
    Toyota Soarer
    Quote Originally Posted by aaronng View Post
    If the ballast and wiring of the kit was designed for 55W, then it should be designed to conduct the current without heating up. Doesn't take much wiring.

On standard halogens, you have really thin wiring behind the bulb pushing 12V 55W, which is 4.58A.

For HIDs, if they run at 85V from ballast to bulb, then 55W gives only 0.648A, much lower current across the HID wires compared to stock halogens.
    wizardry

although you never know, $10 HID ballasts might have 20v rating for 0.5A running at 85v

scary
    Users I've upset: EKVTIR-T | Renaissance_x | Integra-GSi | Stevil | vteckiller | dyln_bxtr | zedries | joyride | eren | Brian FD2R | AusS2000 | amant02 - II | CRXDEL501 | Indie | UiK | mnc | neut

Member Array
    Car:
    hondie 2000
    Quote Originally Posted by curtis265 View Post
    sorry for fuelling the off topic discussion here guys, but i think the HID discussion is beaten to death anyway so there's not much point to it..

watts are watts

The production of heat is related to current flowing through the wire, so if there's 55W/85V, you'll be running 0.64A as opposed to 60W/12V= 5A.. Think of water in a pipe, what has friction? water under high pressure or water moving quickly through it under lower pressure?

be water my friend

Quote Originally Posted by aaronng View Post
    If the ballast and wiring of the kit was designed for 55W, then it should be designed to conduct the current without heating up. Doesn't take much wiring.

On standard halogens, you have really thin wiring behind the bulb pushing 12V 55W, which is 4.58A.

For HIDs, if they run at 85V from ballast to bulb, then 55W gives only 0.648A, much lower current across the HID wires compared to stock halogens.
    i beat you to it aaron!
    S P A M | W O R K S
    hehe.
    PHC

Quote Originally Posted by I CU2 View Post
    It surprises me that people don't care about insurance liability.
    Have there actually been any cases where an insurance claim was denied because the car had HIDs in halogen projectors?

Member Array
    Car:
    '03 Euro [CL9]
    Quote Originally Posted by seanneko View Post
    Have there actually been any cases where an insurance claim was denied because the car had HIDs in halogen projectors?
    Not unless its the cause of a fire I don't think they can deny the claim, sure they could take some money off the settlement for non legal parts, but denying the whole thing I doubt it.
    2003 CL9 5AT *ECU REFLASHED*
    CT-E Icebox|Ralco RZ pulleys|K&N filter|DC Header|250cell Cat|Cusco Tower & H Brace| H.Drive Coilovers | Rays RE30 18x8.5 | S/S Brakelines | Rigid Collars

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    Accord Euro 04
    @OP

If you want to get rid of your HIDs, i can recommend Philips crystal visions.

I put in 55W HIDs after my mate told me "Its soo much better" (shhh I'm still young and i'm allowed to be stupid :P), they looked cool and all but i hated the feeling that i was probably blinding someone lol. Anyway i took them out and replaced them with Philips crystal visions.

You can see a clear color difference in the high beams (stock lights vs crystal vision):
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20121118_130843.jpg 
Views:	98 
Size:	213.7 KB 
ID:	23457

But they are much whiter than stock lights:

Name:	20121125_205701.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	49.9 KB 
ID:	23455

HIDs (55W, 6000K) on the right, CVs on the left..

Name:	20121118_134146.jpg 
Views:	104 
Size:	228.0 KB 
ID:	23456

i will probably replace the light housings sometime next year with JDM style housings with proper HID projectors and no ugly amber parkers, but that's a $800+ project and i need to save up money for that