Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by curtis265 View Post
    i suppose when it's hard to see people think more light would do the trick..
    But fog lights don't even light up the road in front of you, just on the side and upwards?

Member Array
    Car:
    hondie 2000
    exactly.. lol

i have 35HID in mine cos i wanted to be able to actually see something. Does an excellent job of being horribly glary to road users and illuminating signs in thick rain..
    S P A M | W O R K S
    hehe.
    PHC

Blinding people in thick rain ...?

Quote Originally Posted by Softcox View Post
    Sorry for being rude I had no idea you didn't know before. Most reasonable thing to do would be give up on HIDs and get some better halogen bulbs instead.
    no mate, u r right.. u r telling the true and teaching me, i appreciated that

Member Array
    Car:
    07 Accord Euro Luxury 6MT
    I don't think 55W HIDs would be illegal. If I read correctly, the only requirement (apart from colour temp being white and the correct beam pattern) is that once the headlights of any type are over a certain brightness (2000 lumen), you need auto levelers and headlight washers for them to be legal. HIDs must be over this brightness threshold.

- HZ

Quote Originally Posted by HunterZero View Post
    I don't think 55W HIDs would be illegal. If I read correctly, the only requirement (apart from colour temp being white and the correct beam pattern) is that once the headlights of any type are over a certain brightness (2000 lumen), you need auto levelers and headlight washers for them to be legal. HIDs must be over this brightness threshold.

- HZ
    Can i ask a silly question? actually why we need the headlight washers? is it same function as wiper washers to clean the headlight? or use for reduce the heat of HID?

Member Array
    Car:
    Accord Euro
    Quote Originally Posted by hacker_82 View Post
    Can i ask a silly question? actually why we need the headlight washers? is it same function as wiper washers to clean the headlight? or use for reduce the heat of HID?
    To stop stuff like snow building up on the lights and causing things to shine the wrong way, I think. Pretty useless in most of Australia.

Member Array
    Car:
    07 Accord Euro Luxury 6MT
    Yes it is apparently because build-up of dust and snow scatters the HID beams. But that makes no difference to my car since it's always pretty close to spotless anyway. They just squirt soapy water up my bonnet. :P

The HID bulbs themselves temperature-wise are cooler and use less power than the halogen bulbs, so it's not to do with heat. It it was, there'd have to be be water circulating through the headlights all the time!

- HZ

Member Array
    Car:
    Toyota Soarer
    Quote Originally Posted by HunterZero View Post
    Yes it is apparently because build-up of dust and snow scatters the HID beams. But that makes no difference to my car since it's always pretty close to spotless anyway. They just squirt soapy water up my bonnet. :P

The HID bulbs themselves temperature-wise are cooler and use less power than the halogen bulbs, so it's not to do with heat. It it was, there'd have to be be water circulating through the headlights all the time!

- HZ
    It always amazes me and makes me laugh when people say that HID's use more power and get ridiculously hot..

I've never had a issue with my 55w kit that I got for $30.

Get over the HID issue, people will drive with HID's in non HID headlights, what can you do, stop 1 person from doing it, another 5 people buy HID's. Just pull over if someones HIDs are annoying you, and drive off when they pass. Not hard.
    Users I've upset: EKVTIR-T | Renaissance_x | Integra-GSi | Stevil | vteckiller | dyln_bxtr | zedries | joyride | eren | Brian FD2R | AusS2000 | amant02 - II | CRXDEL501 | Indie | UiK | mnc | neut

Quote Originally Posted by RenzokukenJ View Post
    Get over the HID issue, people will drive with HID's in non HID headlights, what can you do, stop 1 person from doing it, another 5 people buy HID's. Just pull over if someones HIDs are annoying you, and drive off when they pass. Not hard.
    It surprises me that people don't care about insurance liability.

Member Array
    Car:
    Toyota Soarer
    Quote Originally Posted by I CU2 View Post
    It surprises me that people don't care about insurance liability.
    at least its not your car that will not be covered by insurance, it will be the other person that will not be covered for having silly lights in their car.
    Users I've upset: EKVTIR-T | Renaissance_x | Integra-GSi | Stevil | vteckiller | dyln_bxtr | zedries | joyride | eren | Brian FD2R | AusS2000 | amant02 - II | CRXDEL501 | Indie | UiK | mnc | neut

Ninja turtle Array
    Car:
    Chloe
    Quote Originally Posted by kristrifo View Post
    gotta remember HIDs run @ 85v with 35w...pump it with 55w and you got some serious heat in the wires and ballast
    If the ballast and wiring of the kit was designed for 55W, then it should be designed to conduct the current without heating up. Doesn't take much wiring.

On standard halogens, you have really thin wiring behind the bulb pushing 12V 55W, which is 4.58A.

For HIDs, if they run at 85V from ballast to bulb, then 55W gives only 0.648A, much lower current across the HID wires compared to stock halogens.
    --------------------------------------
    Stocky CL9 - 1:17.2