Thread: Formula Wonder

Formula Wonder

Hey all, I'll use this as my combined intro and build thread.

I'm Dan from Brisbane and I have just picked up an 86 AH civic with an EW2 carby engine. I'm new to the Honda scene but I've been around for long enough in Drift, then hill climbs / time attack which I was using an S13. I ended up getting pretty competitive wining classes and ended up getting a class record at Mt Cotton. I sold the S13 off and scored this AH which will be my new daily /

So after a fair bit of searching I spotted this gem.

Quote Originally Posted by classified add
    For sale my 1986 1.5 Civic grand prix edition I've owned for 12 months as my run around
    been faultless during my ownership
    well maintained - serviced, new brake pads all round, new centre exhaust section, 1x new brake caliper, 2x new front tyres
    in very good condition for its age
    335000kms on the clock but had a recent engine change - all fully registered

It turned out pretty good for it's age and has a cool twist. It's a Grand Prix version, I didn't think much of it but turns out it's a special commemorative Formula 1 version to celebrate Williams-Honda's first Constructors title with Nigel Mansell and Nelson Piquet driving.

From what I can see the front and rear bars (FRP), set of 5 alloys, metal F1 badges (in very bad condition) and side decals separate it from a standard version. If anyone knows anything about the GP edition I would love to know more. I sell BC coilovers at work and will be trying to get them to make a set so everyone can 3rd Gen coilovers cheap. (if there's no sponsors promoting BC's send me a pm and I can help)

I'll clean it up and take more pics soon, the plans are below, I'll keep updating it as needed. It's going to turn into my daily which can be taken to the track / mountains. I plan to have base times at tracks / runs to see exactly how changes effect the car.

Short Term Plans:
    - General tidy up and replacing small broken bits
    - Replace rear wheel bearings
    - Replace Camshaft Gasket and Rocker Gasket
    - Timing belt kit (belt needs to be removed for the cam gasket)
    - Remove ply parcel shelf (Done)

Long Term Plans:
    - Maybe twin webbers which my boss has
    - Integra front and rear hub / brake upgrade
    - Coilovers
    - Long term will be a B16 conversion unless the webbers make it competitive
    - Track spec wheels with semi slicks
    - Fix 2 rust patches, possible race livery (Williams-Honda F1?)
    - 80's or 90's recaros or similar
    - Weight reduction?

Let me know if you spot any other 3rd gens around especially at wreckers as they won't pop up often.

A 6 pack is up fro grabs to anyone who can find info the the F1GP limited edition.
    Last edited by dandfx; 27-11-2012 at 10:42 PM.

Member Array
    Car:
    lownslowsedan
    That looks niiiiiiice

Japan got "F1 Special Edition" Civic, CRX and Integra that all got the ZC, special seats, steering wheel and stickers to celebrate winning the championship.

In Aus we got a watered down version that just had Grand Prix Edition up the side, other than that they were stock. We got civic and teg versions.

Last edited by trism; 27-11-2012 at 10:29 AM.
    to see all of my build, checkout

Good to know, that's a good start, thanks.

Ok so the first update... First wash anyway. When I brought it had some nice bird crap and the guy left plenty of rubbish inside.

I received some good news about coilovers, BC Racing are planning to develop options for the Gen3. It will take a while but I'll make sure I have the first set in the country, maybe even prototypes for testing if I get lucky. Just gotta convince them its worth making external reservoir versions lol.

Some progress today. Ordered the parts I needed, pair of rear wheel bearings, Rocker gasket and timing kit.

Installed the rear wheel bearings / hubs, only one bolt once the wheel is off. Glad I ordered two. Only one was making noise but seems like it was just over riding the other. Now the stereo only needs to be a quarter of the volume.

I removed the shitty disconnected alarm system, the build date stamped on base was 10/84. Then removed the wiring for the CD stacker all the way through, first kg of weight reduction done.

Member Array
    Car:
    Eg Civic
    Nice AH, looks to be pretty clean from the pics.

Will be interesting to see this progress
    "Wheels are like bosoms to men, and cars have four of them"

Member Array
    Car:
    Turbo 85 Civic
    Any updates??

•CRX• represent Array
    Car:
    CRX+CBR250RR
    so Your the FAMOUS Gymkhana driver in that S13

check it out PEEPS> wicked control particular entering a RWD in a Gymkhana event.

Last edited by Snoop_gee; 23-01-2013 at 12:17 PM.

Digging up an old thread. This car is now for sale.

Member Array
    Car:
    DC2
    Is it?
    -ZAMMIN-

"I know who you are, and I know if I make a formal complaint Mr. Benjamin will have to roll over and give me all your details"
    - Integra-GSi 19/11/2015

Member Array
    Car:
    DECF28R & JB627
    Quote Originally Posted by Super-DA9 View Post
    Is it?
    Yh brah
    SSpamily

Grand prix edition in perth

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk