air compressor recommendations

I'm currently having some renovations done and I'll be looking at doing some painting, mainly the metal framework.

I would say I'm reasonably competent at painting when using a spray can but I think I would be better off tackling this job with a spray gun instead.

Also it gives me the perfect excuse to get an air compressor which I haven't been able to justify buying for quite a while.

As with everyone else I'm looking for something bang for buck. Has anyone had experiences with SCA specials like Blackridge? I'm looking at a 2.5HP one 180L/min 40L tank, would it be enough to do some spray painting and to work on the car?

All input would be appreciated!

Thanks.

Member Array
    Car:
    DC2R
    There ok. Just dont expect more then 5 years from them with regular use. And there as loud as hell!

Member Array
    Car:
    P1.5 460F/350R
    those ones would break quick. whats your budget? bigger is better in this case.

you need to consider the duty cycle and amperage on your power point. most good electric air compressor would need 15amp plug. your average household is 10amp.

have you looked at petrol/diesel powered?
    S P A M | W O R K S
    With our special rotational tires, it will allow you to drive very fast. - JK Tyre

If you can get access, get a 3 phase power for the workshop. Luckily for me, I applied for mine early when the house was under construction.

once you have used a 3 phase air compressor you wont go back, and, it actually works out cheaper to run due to the efficiency of the motor.

Member Array
    Car:
    D15B7 YOOOOOO!
    had my sca for 3 years cranked up the pressure to 125psi, hasn't let me down yet
    Check out my build thread EGB16T. http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthr...build../page14
    Check out my for sale thread constantly updated with b series/ eg parts!

Wakefield Honda Nationals First Timer : na-118 EG b16 1:16.4900

Member Array
    Car:
    D15B7 YOOOOOO!
    you can also use a 15amp and grind down the bottom plug to fit, it will be okay cause your house can handle a bit over 15amp. she'll be right, inb4disclaimer needed
    Check out my build thread EGB16T. http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthr...build../page14
    Check out my for sale thread constantly updated with b series/ eg parts!

Wakefield Honda Nationals First Timer : na-118 EG b16 1:16.4900

Member Array
    Car:
    Kermit K20A
    I purchased a 240l/min direct drive 10amp compressor with a 40l tank for roughly $540 from Trade Tools Direct and it is a good compressor, but if you plan on spray painting a car, i would recommend a 60l tank at a minimum as the 40l runs out a little quick. For referrence the 60l is $600 and for both compressors they claim that they will be good for 20 years. Jump on the Trade Tools Direct website and check it out
    Kermit EGK20A
    Winton: 1:35.08
    Wakefield: 1:08.8

Member Array
    Car:
    DC2R
    Quote Originally Posted by na-118 View Post
    you can also use a 15amp and grind down the bottom plug to fit, it will be okay cause your house can handle a bit over 15amp. she'll be right, inb4disclaimer needed
    Dear god!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!! The power point is only designed for 10 amps. the cb and cable will be fine . The power point wont be!

Best bet. Turn off the breaker and replace the 10 amp power point with a 15 amp. On the same circuit. Its not legal but still alot safer then running it on the 10 amp power point.

To add 3 phase is not needed. And also doesn't reduce electricity bills as it doesn't run more effectually. Just spreads the load across 3 actives.
    Last edited by JDM DC2R; 01-12-2012 at 08:21 PM.

thanks for the input, in all I'm only going to be using it small jobs, I wont be painting a car with it, just some metal framing so I'm not too bothered with waiting for the tank to refill.

budget wise I'm hoping to get one for less than $300.

Quote Originally Posted by JDM DC2R View Post
    Dear god!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!! The power point is only designed for 10 amps. the cb and cable will be fine . The power point wont be!

Best bet. Turn off the breaker and replace the 10 amp power point with a 15 amp. On the same circuit. Its not legal but still alot safer then running it on the 10 amp power point.

To add 3 phase is not needed. And also doesn't reduce electricity bills as it doesn't run more effectually. Just spreads the load across 3 actives.
    I agree with this. do no grind down that bottom plug. That is illegal and dangerous. They make the 15amp earth plug bigger for a reason. So people cant plug it into a 10amp outlet and create a fire.

Banned Array
    Car:
    B16EG-GD3-DC2
    keep the receipt i got one and where they welded the leg on they had actually punctured the tank, no refund despite being their brand LOL