Newcomer Array
    Car:
    honda civic ek1

front speaker help!

I just bought some 6.5 inch alpine type j speakers but they dont fit.Turns out the original speakers are 6 inches. I already soldered all the wires and stuff to the new speakers so I cant return them. Turns out they are too deep so it would hit the window, and the screw holes dont line up. Is there any possible way to mount them or would it be more affordable to get some 6 inch speakers. If so, what would fit the job. I dont have amps or subs, I dont blast music. I am only replacing the speakers because the original speaker didnt work when i got my car.

Member Array
    Car:
    Civic EG4 GLi
    Check the clearance between the door trim and the front of the speaker, then make a spacer out of MDF or similar.

Member Array
    Car:
    EK1
    Quote Originally Posted by panda.monium3 View Post
    I just bought some 6.5 inch alpine type j speakers but they dont fit.
    I'm assuming it is the Alpine SPJ-17C2? According to the specs here: http://www.alpine.com.au/showItem.php?item_id=209

The mounting dept is 60mm. I'm also assuming that your tried to mount the speaker to the door metal (Had the same problem).

You will need to use spacers in order to fit the speakers + a few door trim modifications and/or spacer modification.

It is definitely possible to mount them, just needs abit of work

Member Array
    Car:
    EG5 B18C7
    had the same problem when mounting 6.5 speakers in my EG .. the magnet of the speaker was pretty big lol but as stated above , use spacers .

mount the spacer to where it need be and mount the speaker over the spacer.

you can get diff sizes too so yeah
    " MY VTECC GOES BWAHHHHHHHH BAHHHHHHH BWA BWA BWAAHHHHHHH "

Member Array
    Car:
    Eg Civic
    had the same problem with my splits, just lathed up some plastic spacers at work

worked a treat. just dont space out too far or your trim wont fit back over on the door
    "Wheels are like bosoms to men, and cars have four of them"

Member Array
    Car:
    '77 Civic
    Mdf spacers. get 6.5" spacers, screw them into the stock holes, then screw the speaker onto them. That should give you both depth clearance, it'll let them sit flush, etc.

Member Array
    Car:
    EK4
    all i did was cut the plastic door trim where its actually hitting the magnet .... it fits perfectly on a ek with cutting the full hole out. Use the supplied mounting bracket and it should be able to fit the speaker cover.

Some MDF spacers will do fine as stated

Now just make sure your door is not leaking water in or else it will be a waste of those nice new speakers

Member Array
    Car:
    '77 Civic
    Quote Originally Posted by rice_picker View Post
    Some MDF spacers will do fine as stated

Now just make sure your door is not leaking water in or else it will be a waste of those nice new speakers
    Even if it is, you can get foam pockets to put them in. I had some put in my old car, and boy of boy, they saved those speakers... A year in the rain and wind, and they still work...