Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    03 DC5

Poly-Urethane Lip - Paint Cracking

So I purchased a lip from the states, had it painted by Touch Up Guys since it was mobile and convenient for me at the time (Next time I'd suggest fitting the lip and having it painted at a body shop all in one go, I learned my lesson) however when I went to pick the lip up carefully the paint cracked at the bottom. Right now I don't care, it's on the bottom, noone see's it, stones are going to hit it anyway.

But if the rest of the lip starts to crack, is it because it's a PU lip and doesn't bond well with paint? Or has the painter somehow contaminated the paint and it hasn't bonded properly? My OEM lip is a bit flexible, no cracks though. Any thoughts?

(Had to do my road worthy today so have asked if the guys can put the lip on for me, hopefully they have time.)
    You know what? I still hate you, but you got a pretty awesome collection of nudie mags.
    Yeah, I got 'em from the 70's, 80's and 90's. It's like masturbating in a time machine.

Member Array
    Car:
    hondie 2000
    crap paint used.
    S P A M | W O R K S
    hehe.
    PHC

Member Array
    Car:
    CT9A
    ^^ x2

I'd say the painter has stuffed something up or has used some bad paint as i've painted many PU lips before and had my own lips painted by other workshops and it's always come out very well

Unless they've been flexing the shit out of the lip previously or dropped/scraped it don't see any reason why it would've cracked.

Member Array
    Car:
    14EGs/8EDs/3EKs
    Probably didn't use plastic primer. Common problem.
    JDM D15B - you wouldn't understand

No K-SWAP ? No worries - Unfriend

Member Array
    Car:
    03 DC5
    Cheers for the replies! I'll see how it goes after a couple of weeks it's fitted and how it holds - if it gets worse I'll make a complaint, was $380 to have it painted too ..blah! The lip was perfect where I had it stationed, I simply lifted it slowly and the heavier side bent a bit and there was a crack underneath so if it's any worse after fitting I'll get them to re-do it properly.

Quote from their website:

"What is the guarantee?"

We guarantee to satisfy you… our customer. If for any reason you are not happy with our workmanship please call immediately and we will come back and put it right.
    Last edited by IDV8; 29-11-2012 at 12:43 PM.
    You know what? I still hate you, but you got a pretty awesome collection of nudie mags.
    Yeah, I got 'em from the 70's, 80's and 90's. It's like masturbating in a time machine.

Member Array
    Car:
    Civic EJ8
    Ok first of all oem lips don't come in PU material they come in ABS plastic hence its a replica lip. And secondly your not meant to use plastic primer on PU material. Plastic primer is for plastic material only (ie. abs plastic). However if you want to still use plastic primer as a prep you MUST use Adhesion Primer/Flexi Primer before you spray the plastic primer. What adhesion primer does is that it gives the plastic primer something to stick on and it prevents the paint from cracking. I did this for my preface ek9 style lip and the paint lasted for about 6-7 months before i lowered it and scraped the paint off.

This will give you an idea of what primer adhesion is
    http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/FLEXI-PRI...item1c2291091c

Member Array
    Car:
    03 DC5
    I never mentioned the new lip was OEM It was a replica, I thought that'd just be assumed when I mentioned it was PU. So are you agreeing that it's the painters fault anyway?

Member Array
    Car:
    K20 nugget
    I have no idea why you would want to mount it when you know it is defective. You said you flexed it slightly, and the paint cracked. How do you think it will perform when you are driving at high speeds? Or against rocks flinging against it?

Once mounted, you give the painter the chance to blame it was caused when mounting, or how it was mounted, or how you scrapped it, etc. Get them to fix it before mounting...

Member Array
    Car:
    Go Kart
    The paint isnt bonded properly. It shouldnt crack unless you put a lot of force on flexing or twisting it, even the plastic itself will be stressed by that point.

Also $380 for a lip?? I would definitely get them to redo it again.
    ლ(ಠ益ಠლ) Y U DO DIS

Banned Array
    Car:
    B16EG-GD3-DC2
    i could get a wholebody kit painted proffessionaly for 400$, 380 for a lip is a rip off, take i off and back to them make them paint it properly. ive used rubbish paint before on my car lips and its not cracked when flexxing. this is the same paint i used on the ends of my strut bar, when i tightened the nuts onto the paint with the rattle gun the paint exploded of from the shock, thats how crap the paint is, but it never cracked when flexed.

Member Array
    Car:
    03 DC5
    Sorry *$280 - still overpriced but yes, will call him and let him know .. lesson learned!

Member Array
    Car:
    Civic EJ8
    what you coulda done to save yourself money is diy