Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Steering feel..

Steering feel..

I really love everything about my S2K AP1. The only thing I want to improve is the steering feel. I have to admit the AP1 has no steering feel what so ever. My previous Golf GTI had much better feel than my S2K. When I drove my mates MX5 and another's new GT-86 I was envious.

I know you can turn the EPS off but it becomes too heavy. Another alternative I read is the RX7 steering rack swap. What do you guys think is a good way to address this weakness?

IS the AP2 and CR models much better in steering feel..
    Last edited by Parky; 29-11-2012 at 09:47 PM.

Member Array
    Car:
    Honda S2000
    If you swap out to the FD rack, you wont have any form of power steering..

Member Array
    Car:
    AP1 S2000
    Really? Maybe your EPS is throwing error codes? I've never heard anybody complain about the S2000 steering response... in fact all I've heard is praise...

Member Array
    Car:
    S2000
    Yeah my steering is awesome and I've got an mx5 as well.

Every forum I read people complain about the lack of feel.... I kind of agree. My E39 bmw has far more..

Member Array
    Car:
    Honda S2000
    Define 'lack of feel'...?

Member Array
    Car:
    S2000
    I don't think Parky is talking about steering response aozora, & I agree with you the response is excellent, perhaps almost too good.

The turn in is brilliant, but you can't complain about the feel, there is none to complain about. He is I believe talking about that lightening of the wheel as the rear end looses adhesion, & the sudden loss of all weight as the front end lets go. This is not something you will ever feel in your S2k

I guess it might be an age thing, the mystery of it all known only to those of us with experience of cars built in the days before power steering, particularly of the electric type, made it's appearance, that is us older types. My venerable old TR7, & TR8 tell me through the steering wheel exactly what they are going to do, long before they can pass the message to my bum. A bum, no matter how slim, is a rather blunt instrument when sensing one's cars performance. Of course the old triumphs have no power on their steering to interfere with the "feel".

The lack of feel was not enough to talk me out of an S2k, so much else about the car is just so good, but it did come close. If I had planned to do much really hard driving in the thing it might have. I believe it is this lack of early warning feel that has led to so many disappearing backwards into the scenery.

Our S2ks are brilliant cars, but are not very forgiving. They are no more forgiving than the Lotus & Brabham open wheelers I used to race around Bathurst. I'm sure competent drivers can come to grips with the car quite quickly, & have an absolute ball. But for those like me, getting on a bit, or without experience of light reasonably powerful rear wheel drive cars, the limit should be approached with care, or on the track.

Member Array
    Car:
    S2000
    Ok well in that case, I agree. I don't think this issue can be "fixed" from what I have read (which has been a lot since purchase).

As this was a personal issue i had with the car after I bought it (a week ago) I decided to throw on some 17" wheels with a 9" rear and fit (arguably) the best Tyres on the market (goodyear f1 a2) along with having the uk alignment setup.

All those slight modifications have helped so far for driving in the dry. I'm yet to take out the s in the wet. I really hope it handles as impressively as it does in the dry (with caution of course).

Quote Originally Posted by Hasbeen View Post
    I don't think Parky is talking about steering response aozora, & I agree with you the response is excellent, perhaps almost too good.

The turn in is brilliant, but you can't complain about the feel, there is none to complain about. He is I believe talking about that lightening of the wheel as the rear end looses adhesion, & the sudden loss of all weight as the front end lets go. This is not something you will ever feel in your S2k

I guess it might be an age thing, the mystery of it all known only to those of us with experience of cars built in the days before power steering, particularly of the electric type, made it's appearance, that is us older types. My venerable old TR7, & TR8 tell me through the steering wheel exactly what they are going to do, long before they can pass the message to my bum. A bum, no matter how slim, is a rather blunt instrument when sensing one's cars performance. Of course the old triumphs have no power on their steering to interfere with the "feel".

The lack of feel was not enough to talk me out of an S2k, so much else about the car is just so good, but it did come close. If I had planned to do much really hard driving in the thing it might have. I believe it is this lack of early warning feel that has led to so many disappearing backwards into the scenery.

Our S2ks are brilliant cars, but are not very forgiving. They are no more forgiving than the Lotus & Brabham open wheelers I used to race around Bathurst. I'm sure competent drivers can come to grips with the car quite quickly, & have an absolute ball. But for those like me, getting on a bit, or without experience of light reasonably powerful rear wheel drive cars, the limit should be approached with care, or on the track.
    Top post, explained it perfectly

Hey guys Hasbeen is right. Im not talking about response, that is great. What im talking about is 'Feel' the communication between the road, car and driver. When your pushing the limits this 'Feel' is very important.

In the S2000 this 'feel' is almost non existent. Its like playing Grand Turismo on my logitech steering wheel, i.e. its direct and responsive but has no 'Feel'...

Member Array
    Car:
    hehe
    Take out ps. Learn to live with heavy steering.

Problem solved.
    Last edited by renzokukenj; Today at 12:34 AM. Reason: hehe

The s2000 was a relatively early adopter of EPS and it is only the last few years that EPS systems have begun to seriously compete with hydraulic / unassisted systems for steering feel.
    Take the new 2013 Boxster. Despite the car receiving rave reviews the move from hydraulic to EPS has copped negative attention from critics.

EPS is almost always inferior for feel.

On the flip side EPS doesn't rob the engine of mechanical power that a hydraulic pump would otherwise draw. It's not all bad.