Integra makes a worn bearing type noise when driving and braking

G'day all

I am thinking of buying a 2002 Honda Integra - paid a deposit

It makes a worn bearing rubbing noise when driving but becomes more pronounced when braking. A mechanic told me that he thinks it may be coming from the rear wheels after he took it for a drive. He said it could be worn bearings or caliper problems or something else. He said that you would not really know what it is until you dismantled the wheel braking bearing area. He said it could be all three.

Said it might cost between $300 to $700

I mentioned this to the private person who was selling the car and he said Honda told him it is a common problem with the 2002 series integra and said it was fairly 'normal' in this model. In other words nothing to worry about.

I have driven many cars and I think its not so normal - its too noticeable when driving

Does anybody have any clues as to this being a common integra problem and what most likely is the cause of the noise?

Thanks
    integra1

Member Array
    Car:
    DC5R
    Its not a common problem. That i know... gwt your deposit back!

Member Array
    Car:
    lownslowsedan
    1. The guy is downpalying the problem to sell you the car.

I can nearly guarantee that they know about it, and cbf.

However, if its all the time, and more when braking, its probably the pads, or calipers.

Could be a simple job.

However, id bail becvause the seller is a dodgy cnut
    to see all of my build, checkout

OK see how it pans out today after seller checks it out with his mechanic

thanks

yeah! bought the car - got a discount
    mechanic said front wheel bearing the problem
    probably live with the noise for a while then get it fixed

thanks

Member Array
    Car:
    lownslowsedan
    Nice.
    to see all of my build, checkout

Part of the problem is that that integra did not get a lot of sound deadening material in the body floor and also because its a hatch without a closed off boot, that allows road and wheel noises to reverberate around into the driver area a little more (like most hatches)

Will experiment with more floor mats and beach blankets in the rear floor and boot area - should help

It drives beautiful though, with a great sports seat and steering wheel driver positioning
    Last edited by integra1; 12-12-2012 at 08:52 PM.

Member Array
    Car:
    05 DC5S
    Quote Originally Posted by integra1 View Post
    yeah! bought the car - got a discount
    mechanic said front wheel bearing the problem
    probably live with the noise for a while then get it fixed

thanks
    I hope for you its just a wheel bearing and that discount was worth it. I'd hate to see the car suddenly go ape shit and put you in danger :O
    Into Gundam and Anime?! Check out my business at www.facebook.com/officialgundamuniverse

www.gundamuniverse.com.au

Hi eL
    Cars safety is always No1, but I can't see any real problem there, as I have driven the car braking it in a number of circumstances without problem. The ABS work fine!
    There were a goodly number of cars that I looked at that were heaps of junk from a multiplicity of liars saying there car was in excellent or great condition only to find they were below average, with accident repairs etc.
    The way I try to look at a second hand car is - just take everything the seller says with a grain of salt and only go by what you see in the car and don' forget your PPRS and History checks ($4 + $18 approx NSW) worth every cent. You can go to a lot of trouble with good questions and checks but still end up with problems missed after you buy. The point is you most certainly narrow down the missed problem risks. Anybody buying a used car is always under time pressure, so better to miss a car that seems like a bargain, than to severely regret missing serious problems.